9 Pages123Next pageLast page

The future of Factional Warfare in DUST

Jump to first DEV post
Author
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 Posted: 2013.05.03 10:54  |  Edited by: CCP Frame
The future of Factional Warfare in DUST
We have mentioned multiple times that factional warfare (FW) battles are changing come Uprising and we have also said in varying places what is changing. What we have have yet to do is write one concise public document for you guys about what the changes to FW are. So here we go. :D

The following changes are going live on May 6th with Uprising.

Dynamically created battles
FW battles will no longer be created by corporations selecting a district to attack. Instead the server will dynamically generate battles for players to join. Where these battles take place will be based on where complex are being completed in EVE FW.

The system will make sure there is always a battle available to join. So as running battles fill up new ones will be generated.

Choosing your side
When joining a battle for FW you will have the choice in which side you join. Pretty simple and straightforward. :) I love those changes.

Picture of awesome

Rewards
For now the FW battle rewards will match those of instant battles. We are looking into ways we can change this, things like if you fight for one faction continuously you gain standings and the standings affect your reward.

For now though the rewards will match those of instant battles.

EVE changes
There are actually no client side changes in EVE to how FW works in DUST. Orbital bombardments will be the same and the effects controlled districts have over systems will also be unchanged. The only change to EVE is the monitoring of completed complex to determine where battles in DUST should take place.

Battles
The FW battles will be 16 versus 16 and NO friendly fire.
These battles can be found under the Mercenary tab of the Battle Finder come May 6th with the release of Uprising.

Thats it for now. Just a quick and simple blog to bring you all up to speed and allow for some discussion in the comments thread. I look forward to seeing you all in battle come May 6th.

Team True Grit

CCP FoxFour // Game Designer

http://twitter.com/regnerba

Kang Lo Directorate
Gallente Federation
#2 Posted: 2013.05.03 11:03
friendly fire on pls. leave the casual stuff in instant battles.
Galactic News Network
#3 Posted: 2013.05.03 11:05
really like the FW setup being able to choose faction and gain standing, would like it even more if it had FF though.
C C P
C C P Alliance
#4 Posted: 2013.05.03 11:08  |  Edited by: CCP Frame
Oh man can't wait. Come on CCP patch this thing already so I can fight for my side!

But really, looking forward to these changes and playing with them live on TQ!
Kang Lo Directorate
Gallente Federation
#5 Posted: 2013.05.03 11:11
As much as I would love to have friendly fire, at this stage there isn't any mechanism for removing someone that is shooting your own team (and just killing them doesn't help - they come back too easily). However if they were able to selectively turn it on for orbital bombardments, that alone would make me much happier.

Otherwise, good, good. *nod nod*
C C P
C C P Alliance
#6 Posted: 2013.05.03 11:13
For friendly fire we are looking at ways we can get it introduced into factional warfare. Our concern is not really about it being "more hard core" but about the ability for people to control who is in the matches and such. Right now there would be no conscience for people going into a FW match and just killing team mates.

We have ideas like faction standings and such, but they are not on the roadmap right now. Once we have something like that though we can look at adding friendly fire to FW. :)

CCP FoxFour // Game Designer

http://twitter.com/regnerba

Imperfects
Negative-Feedback
#7 Posted: 2013.05.03 11:13
I really think we need to have some penalties of some kind for leaving/not fighting in the match.

I fear that if some corps deploy into the FW matches the other team would just constantly either leave the match or stay in the MCC/somewhere else in the redline the entire match.

Winner of the EU Squad Cup & the closed beta Tester's Tournament.

Go Go Power Rangers!

R.I.P MAG.

SyNergy Gaming
EoN.
#8 Posted: 2013.05.03 11:40
We don't do devblogs any more~

But yeah, looking forward to fighting for who I want to and filling whole teams with organised squads.

Fanfest 2012 - Winning Team + MVP - £1100 in prizes

Fanfest 2013 - Winning Team - £500 in prizes

Fanfest 2014 - ???

Zumari Force Projection
Caldari State
#9 Posted: 2013.05.03 12:23  |  Edited by: Aighun
Bendtner92 wrote:
I really think we need to have some penalties of some kind for leaving/not fighting in the match.

I fear that if some corps deploy into the FW matches the other team would just constantly either leave the match or stay in the MCC/somewhere else in the redline the entire match.

Instant battles were a closed system and really had no consequences.

There was no real visible link between EVE and Dust in the old factional warfare system. But now there is a stronger link. I am not sure why Corps would deploy to faction warfare is they did not want to fight. But isn't losing penalty enough?

Was also going to say something about, never underestimate the power of a bad reputation. See how it goes. But it seems like the more connections there are between EVE and DUST the more lasting your choices, the more your reputation will matter. Entire culture for Dust might turn out to be different. But it is a persistent world. We haven't really seen that yet.
Buck's Intergalactic Pawn Shop
#10 Posted: 2013.05.03 12:45
I know factional standings etc are way down the road, but from a back end pov are our factional choices being recorded from this point on?
So when standings are kicked in, the choices we have made up until that point will have an impact.Smile
HavoK Core
RISE of LEGION
#11 Posted: 2013.05.03 12:54  |  Edited by: Rorian Gray
To avoid confusion with some players, I don't believe you are actually talking about "PLEX" the paid-for pilot license extension but rather the completion of [EVE-side] faction warfare mission complexes? I think most will understand, but I envision this being reposted somewhere for "ZOMG pay to win" propaganda.
Krusual Covert Operators
Minmatar Republic
#12 Posted: 2013.05.03 13:02
What are the objectives going to be in this battle?

HavoK Core
RISE of LEGION
#13 Posted: 2013.05.03 13:07
If it's not set in stone yet, I wonder if the faction with the most EVE-side control or activity might just pay out better. Some corps may feel loyalty to a faction, but it'd be nice if you had a counter-incentive to corps who don't get involved with politics and just want to contract for the highest bidder.
Ostrakon Agency
Gallente Federation
#14 Posted: 2013.05.03 13:17
Will people get standing for AFKing on enemy side and thus passively helping their faction? Roll
Subdreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#15 Posted: 2013.05.03 13:27
Killit With Fire wrote:
Will people get standing for AFKing on enemy side and thus passively helping their faction? Roll

Why do they need to get standing when they ARE just standing?

Shape without form, shade without colour,

Paralysed force, gesture without motion;

Imperfects
Negative-Feedback
#16 Posted: 2013.05.03 13:35
Aighun wrote:
Bendtner92 wrote:

Instant battles were a closed system and reeky had no consequences.

There was no real visible link between EVE and Dust in the old factional warfare system. But now there is a stronger link. I am not sure why Corps would deploy to faction warfare is they did not want to fight. But isn't losing penalty enough?

Was also going to say something about, never underestimate the power of a bad reputation. See how it goes. But it seems like the more connections there are between EVE and DUST the more lasting your choices, the more your reputation will matter. Entire culture for Dust might turn out to be different. But it is a persistent world. We haven't really seen that yet.

he probably meant that if a team joined a game and show 6-12 imperfects on the other team, got scared and left then there should be a penalty for leaving. Or if they didn't wanna fight /// was beat up soo bad they switched to militia gear and stayed in MCC
The Vanguard II
#17 Posted: 2013.05.03 14:19
Any plans to have mercs (who are in a FW corp) be included in the FW Militia chat channel?
OSG Planetary Operations
Covert Intervention
#18 Posted: 2013.05.03 14:20
I could be going off of the wrong impression, but I thought that in FW we will be able to "stack" squads, so that we could essentially go in with 16 members of our corporation / alliance.

Any word on that?

My DUST 514 Music Videos

Solo Incubus pilot, superb expert of wallet depletion

Tronhadar Free Guard
Minmatar Republic
#19 Posted: 2013.05.03 14:43
CCP FoxFour wrote:
For friendly fire we are looking at ways we can get it introduced into factional warfare. Our concern is not really about it being "more hard core" but about the ability for people to control who is in the matches and such. Right now there would be no conscience for people going into a FW match and just killing team mates.

There are numerous FPSs which have FF always on, and it has never been an issue in the games I've played. Sure, you get accidental TK sometimes and the occasional asshat, but those are part of the game.

There are also numerous ways to alleviate abuse, many of which have been outlined in various pro-FF posts on these very forums.

FF should be on in FW, PC, and there should be a hardcore mode for Skirmish and Ambush with FF on.
Imperfects
Negative-Feedback
#20 Posted: 2013.05.03 14:46
Thanks for the FW devblog, i really like that you just posted something simple in the forums and left it unlocked. I'd like to see you guys do it this way for basically all of them, good stuff.

Question - There was some talk of giving us real loot from the participants, where is this at?
9 Pages123Next pageLast page