General Discussions

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

17 Pages123Next pageLast page

Game Destroying: Separating Players by Controller Type Is Completely Unacceptable

Jump to first DEV post
Author
Escrow Removal and Acquisition
Dirt Nap Squad.
#1 Posted: 2013.03.01 16:50  |  Edited by: Kain Spero
CCP Cmdr Wang wrote:
We are also planning to introduce Matchmaking improvemtns that will take controller input into account.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=587744#post587744

Do not separate by controller type; you will destroy the game community.

Owner of Spero Escrow Services

Follow @KainSpero for Dust and CPM news

Better Hide R Die
#2 Posted: 2013.03.01 16:54  |  Edited by: Winscar Shinobi
Didn't all the KB/M people QQ when their turn speed was reduced once though?

The way I see it both sides will NEVER agree on a balance. Because each side will always be biased to their side.

But I honestly don't see separating the 2 would work at all.

Should have just made this game DS3 only.... Would have squashed the debate there >.> (I mean honestly it's the reason most console games don't allow KB/M support)
Den of Swords
#3 Posted: 2013.03.01 16:55
Wait.. there's a difference? what about people who have all three controllers?

CPM 0 Secretary

Omni-Soldier, Forum Warrior, Annoying Artist

\\= Advanced Caldari Assault // Unlocked

The Butter Knife Bandit
#4 Posted: 2013.03.01 16:56
I really want to try my kbm with dust. Ive got a really nice mouse too. Unfortunately my living room is very not kmb setup friendly...

On topic though, is the gap really that large? I use a pad rigjt now and I'm a decent player, cant personally tell when someone is using kbm.
TacoCat Industries
#5 Posted: 2013.03.01 16:57
Kain Spero wrote:
CCP Cmdr Wang wrote:
We are also planning to introduce Matchmaking improvemtns that will take controller input into account.

Balance the max mouse turn speed to be the equivalent of max DS3 speed, but do not separate by controller type. You will destroy the game community. Fix the balance between the control schemes but do not go down this path.

First, keep in mind this is beta. They may very well want to see if some numbers end up being different as they track stuff between the two controller types.

Are there less cases of ARs going 30-2 in a match with only same controllers. Do snipers fair better on the KBM games then the DS3. It could be part of a test.

Secondly, for randomized matchamaking that occurs in "high sec" i dont see how this would hurt to be in play. NULL sec would mainly be organized corps anyway so very little matchmaking.

Then again, I dont see how they do this well, what if I want to play with a buddy who uses KBAM? Do we go into a KBAM match where my DS3 gets raped, or to a DS3 match where his KBAM dominates?
KILL-EM-QUICK
RISE of LEGION
#6 Posted: 2013.03.01 16:58
Do not split the controller types pleasssse
Subdreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#7 Posted: 2013.03.01 16:59
Winscar Shinobi wrote:

The way I see it both sides will NEVER agree on a balance. Because each side will always be bias to their side.

Should have just made this game DS3 only.... Would have squashed the debate there >.> (I mean honestly it's the reason most console games don't allow KB/M support)

I apologize in advance for being a grammarstapo, but each side will always be biased not 'bias'. If you have a bias, you are biased.

Sorry again, it's a really common error in video game communities for some reason and it drives me up the wall.
Imperfects
Negative-Feedback
#8 Posted: 2013.03.01 16:59
Travi Zyg wrote:
I really want to try my kbm with dust. Ive got a really nice mouse too. Unfortunately my living room is very not kmb setup friendly...

On topic though, is the gap really that large? I use a pad rigjt now and I'm a decent player, cant personally tell when someone is using kbm.

Actually that's the really worst thing about this proposed splitting of the community -

MOST OF THE BEST PLAYERS USE CONTROLLER

Also

Many many people use them BOTH for vehicles/infantry or vice versa.

Splitting the battle queues and thus the community by controller type is a serious serious mistake.
Doomheim
#9 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:01  |  Edited by: Morathi III
Kain Spero wrote:
CCP Cmdr Wang wrote:

Not really, KBM have huge advantage and we are tired, play with controller and im sure you are not that good , thanks
DarkWingsss
#10 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:01
I use the DS3 in my left hand, and mouse in my right hand. Which category i fit into ?

BTW, one of the things a find the most appealing about Dust 514 is the mouse. I normally don't play multiplayer shooter games in the console, only in PC.

Take that option away, and most likely i will end up playing Planetside 2 or CS;GO in my PC.
Better Hide R Die
#11 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:02
Knarf Black wrote:
Winscar Shinobi wrote:

The way I see it both sides will NEVER agree on a balance. Because each side will always be bias to their side.

I apologize in advance for being a grammarstapo, but each side will always be biased not 'bias'. If you have a bias, you are biased.

Sorry again, it's a really common error in video game communities for some reason and it drives me up the wall.

Fair enough. I hold no grudges.
Imperfects
Negative-Feedback
#12 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:03
DO NOT DISCUSS BALANCE IN THIS THREAD

This is a separate topic about whether the community should be split based on controller.

It is not a discussion about the merits/bugs of each controller types for what purpose.
Doomheim
#13 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:07
Btw im disagree in split currently we are too few player and we split our corp too, that cant happen
Fatal Absolution
Dirt Nap Squad.
#14 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:07  |  Edited by: Sentient Archon
Kain Spero wrote:
CCP Cmdr Wang wrote:

SMH @ CCP. Classic case of CCP yet again introducing a new variable instead of fixing an existing problem.

+1 for Kane!

Going back to Eve and AFK Farming!
The Rainbow Effect
#15 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:08
This is the worst idea ever.

I use both controller and kb/m.

Please, do not do this!
Imperfects
Negative-Feedback
#16 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:10
Kain Spero wrote:
CCP Cmdr Wang wrote:

Holy **** batman are you serious?

Dear Cmdr Wang WTF were you thinking man? You are telling me you aren't smart enough to balance out the kb/m thing so you give up? That gives me lots of confidence with all the real issues you have to deal with.

As a controller user I really dont care who uses what. I do just fine against anyone

Every mercs life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and died that distinguishes one from another

Ametat Security
Amarr Empire
#17 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:10
Making too much of it I think. If part of the matchmaking algorithm for pubs is kbm, it only affects pubs and won't split the players if properly weighed.

I would welcome the harder public level for sniping, too.
The Rainbow Effect
#18 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:10
I don't think there should be any segregation, but I would like if there was some indication of control method on the scoreboard. As a DS3 user, I'm quite interested to see how I'm faring against KBM users.
Imperfects
Negative-Feedback
#19 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:11
Sentient Archon wrote:
Kain Spero wrote:
CCP Cmdr Wang wrote:

SMH @ CCP. Classic case of CCP yet again introducing a new variable instead of fixing an existing problem.

+1 for Kane!

Going back to Eve and AFK Farming!

+1 for being awesome like me SA

Every mercs life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and died that distinguishes one from another

Mannar Focused Warfare
Gallente Federation
#20 Posted: 2013.03.01 17:11
Why would they split up a small playerbase even more, another CCP flop
17 Pages123Next pageLast page