General Discussions

^ Back to top
2 Pages12Next page

badasses using starter fits was a myth.

Author
free dropships for newbs
#1 Posted: 2017.06.09 02:20
I heard about it all the time but I never saw it. I call bullshit

dust514 is NOT a team sport like football, Most players would make their team lose if it got their squad more kills.

0uter.Heaven
#2 Posted: 2017.06.09 03:02
jane stalin wrote:

That just seems logically incorrect. If your a badass the entire point is not wearing starter fits?

That's like saying rich people begging out on the streets is a myth. well yeah, you don't say.

EVE Trial 250k Bonus SP

EVE Chat channel for dust players: Photon Depot

Dead Man's Game
#3 Posted: 2017.06.09 05:29
Viktor Hadah Jr wrote:
jane stalin wrote:

That just seems logically incorrect. If your a badass the entire point is not wearing starter fits?

That's like saying rich people begging out on the streets is a myth. well yeah, you don't say.

Well, professional beggars certainly exist...

I know I had a few pretty nice matches in my medic starter fit, not a boss by any means but occasionally hitting up 30+ kills with mostly less deaths.

Of course it was mostly just being a tight sod.
Going for the gold
#4 Posted: 2017.06.09 06:33
^I used to get ~30 kills per match aswell IIRC.

I'll never forget that time I dropped a militia grenade onto an objective and killed 3 people... in my medic starter fit.

#NekosForLife ⎝◥▶‿‿◀◤⎠

When you think about it, nekos are like upgraded humans

Alma is a psycho I swear, send help

T.H.I.R.D R.O.C.K
#5 Posted: 2017.06.09 09:25  |  Edited by: saxonmish
jane stalin wrote:

Now you can see it;)

https://youtu.be/aQ5Mja6ZNbw

https://youtu.be/CaSjQjn1bJQ

Help Me Make Our Game!!

SAXON ON A MISH - My YouTube Channel

Made in Poland...
#6 Posted: 2017.06.09 10:10  |  Edited by: Mejt0
I'm sure at least few of them played starter fits at some point out of pure boredom.
As one can call it : "making it more challenging", the other may say : "crippling your experience"

Vigilant Pilot

Happy Hunting

Corrosive Synergy
#7 Posted: 2017.06.09 13:47
I was popped quite a few times by the damn recon scout, but it was always when I was forging.

When in doubt pull the forge out!! But we are all dead so who cares!

#8 Posted: 2017.06.09 14:13
In pub matches, I used to use the Skinweave BPOs all the time before the APEX BPOs came out. I used to own alot of BPOs though as I bought them early when they were like 5 or so cents a piece. The way I thought about it, using proto all the time like I used to see quite a few do, you get overconfident and frustrated when actually going against a full team also having proto. That is part of the reason I ended the game with somewhere over 200M ISK.

I don't troll; I tell the truth.

I'm also known as "The ANTI-Propaganda Machine".

Immortal Guides
#9 Posted: 2017.06.09 15:45
jane stalin wrote:

Once they released the Militia HMG I often ran an all Militia HMG Sentinel fit.

Not a starter fit, but it was Militia.

Hand/Eye coordination cannot be taught. For everything else there is the Learning Coalition.

#10 Posted: 2017.06.09 16:50
Many top level players ran BPO fits in pubs almost exclusively for lulz.
Going for the gold
#11 Posted: 2017.06.09 19:04  |  Edited by: TooMany Names AlreadyTaken
DUST Fiend wrote:
Many top level players ran BPO fits in pubs almost exclusively for lulz.

It was a good challenge, protostomping is fun at first, but it gets boring mowing down everything in sight...by using weak suits it's actually more fun to play.

#NekosForLife ⎝◥▶‿‿◀◤⎠

When you think about it, nekos are like upgraded humans

Alma is a psycho I swear, send help

Dead Man's Game
#12 Posted: 2017.06.09 20:43
Fox Gaden wrote:
jane stalin wrote:

Once they released the Militia HMG I often ran an all Militia HMG Sentinel fit.

Not a starter fit, but it was Militia.

But if we're including militia... Then there were a few slightly unbalanced fits >.> suicidal RE spam anyone? If you didn't blow up at least 3 people per death, you were doing something wrong, lol.

Or better yet... Militia LAV, squashes even the heaviest of heavies.
Direct Action Resources
Rise Of Legion.
#13 Posted: 2017.06.10 13:56
Most of us ran our BPOs in pub matches, there was rarely a need to bump up to advanced or proto to win the match.

Our goal was to balance the match so that the enemy team would bring in their best suits in order to eak out a win, to make it look like "hey, if we try just a little harder and use better suites and or equipment, we can win this."

Winning had less to do with the suit the merc was wearing and more to do with the teamwork, as is usually the case.

You can have the best suit and equipment in the game, but if you don't have the skills to kill, it won't make a difference against an opponent/team that knows what it is doing.

“… shatter the enemy and then the terrain will fall into your hands by itself.” - General Heinz Gaedke

Dead Man's Game
Preatoriani
#14 Posted: 2017.06.10 20:15
Nomex Gallatin wrote:
Most of us ran our BPOs in pub matches, there was rarely a need to bump up to advanced or proto to win the match.

Our goal was to balance the match so that the enemy team would bring in their best suits in order to eak out a win, to make it look like "hey, if we try just a little harder and use better suites and or equipment, we can win this."

Winning had less to do with the suit the merc was wearing and more to do with the teamwork, as is usually the case.

You can have the best suit and equipment in the game, but if you don't have the skills to kill, it won't make a difference against an opponent/team that knows what it is doing.

That was basically the entire purpose of the game. Teamwork OP.

"I hope we don't have vehicles [in Nova] simply so we don't have to deal with the people who drive them." -Ripley Riley

Fatal Absolution
Bleeding Sun Conglomerate
#15 Posted: 2017.06.10 21:23
Lol, I remember doing this. Very very rarely.

Most famously was when Kujo and I one night played in the days when our corps were at complete odds and this was just a few months after one of his players zBroadway had doxxed me on the dust forums, FA was still in her infancy (circa mid January 2014) and we made a bet of like 50 mill isk over who could get the most kill in a start suit.

Also, when people in the early days of the corp would challenge other people to a 1v1 they'd go into a pc match setup for the occasion and play in starter suits/starter guns for bragging rights over who was better. Best of three matches.

But that's not pubs.

No matter what. FAmily

Mercy may only be obtained in death. In other words; Fatal Absolution.

Namtar Elite
Gallente Federation
#16 Posted: 2017.06.11 02:42
Of course it was a myth! true badasses had prototype BPO suits handed out by CCP to keep the general pub player down.

Rudimentary Mercs of scrubs and incompetence. You touch my mind, fumbling in Ignorance, incapable of understanding.

KILL-EM-QUICK
Rise Of Legion.
#17 Posted: 2017.06.11 03:48
We did have a guy who is badass in all shooter games, and when he came to DUST was already a badass in his starter fit. That said he obviously used the better stuff after he could.

I never used the starter fit after, but I did only ever use basic suits and basic weapons in pub games. I figured it was better to be use to the lower level and only pull out the big guns during PC battles.
T.H.I.R.D R.O.C.K
#18 Posted: 2017.06.12 23:33
I stuck with standard fits and rolled with a 2.3 KDR

\o/ * IT'S SOMETHING * \o/

SCAN ATTEMPT PREVENTED

EvE - 21 Day Trial

Dead Man's Game
Preatoriani
#19 Posted: 2017.06.13 17:56
SILENTSAM 69 wrote:
We did have a guy who is badass in all shooter games, and when he came to DUST was already a badass in his starter fit. That said he obviously used the better stuff after he could.

I never used the starter fit after, but I did only ever use basic suits and basic weapons in pub games. I figured it was better to be use to the lower level and only pull out the big guns during PC battles.

I was rich. Played full proto most of the time, officer only in PC.

I did well in the end as I sent out 70M ISK and a ton of officer gear to my friends before the end.

"I hope we don't have vehicles [in Nova] simply so we don't have to deal with the people who drive them." -Ripley Riley

Federation Marines 62
#20 Posted: 2017.06.13 19:15  |  Edited by: Lightning35 Delta514
Well there's the problem. YOU haven't seen it. But it's been done. And tbh it's not hard. Know your maps. Know your loadout, and know your enemy. It's not hard to crush with militia. (It wasn't hard to crush with militia :()

Think bad driver good care and good driver bad car. Sure you might be at a disadvantage but if you know what you're doing, it's not hard. I myself had to run only starter fits after I went broke. Had to re-work my way up through militia, then basic with militia, basic with basic and so forth

It's even logical to a certain point. Why wouldn't a pro player use Militia at times. It only proves skill over stats. If you can wreck at a disadvantage, how much more could you wreck fully loaded. Many people have done it. It's a way to prove ones self.

CEO of Federation Marines 62 - Bravo Company

Gallente - Quafe - Gk.0s/Gv.0s - 72m SP

Quafe Master - Quamander - Quad

2 Pages12Next page