DUST 514 Fiction

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

Live and let die

Author
Woodgrain Atari
#1 Posted: 2016.01.21 20:57  |  Edited by: Devadander
I can still see the look on the midshipman's face when I asked an out of uniform admiral what a leviathan was.

His responses were... Colorful.

As a militia guard for an almost dead-end provisions outpost, we didn't see many titans. That was going to change soon in a way none of us could fathom.

At the time, caldari prime was still under federation rule. The Shiigeru still under construction in a gantry. Citizens of the state would never forget the events that transpired on prime. Nor would they see fit to forgive.

Before it all is a blur. When Mordu started the CUI, I saw it as a way to escape the day to day of a citizen. "Upgrade today citizen! Exploration and earning potential beyond anything you have seen before." the Zunari recruiter told me.

Before IPL started internal inductions, my explorations included: sectors A-1, A-3, B-1, B-3, and G-2. At least sixteen times a shift, for maybe 5 years. The G-2 sector being pretty much the other side of the station, and most likely the chief petty officer's idea of a lasting punishment. Maybe they shouldn't give greenhorns flux technology.

He didn't exaggerate the pay however. I was making more in a shift than I used to annually. And here I was, in a glorified closet, with enough isk to buy the bloc my old quarters were housed in. Even the jove must laugh now and again.

So naturally, when I heard IPL was needing bodies for actual travel (and better pay) I was amongst the first volunteers. I vivdly remember thinking "Mercenary money will afford me some sweet living between contracts." Still unable to laugh about it.

What I did learn to laugh about was how quickly New Eden could spin you 180°. I was making better pay. But at my Zunari wages, and still living more like militia than a mercenary, the increase was barely noticeable. But when the chimera Yosei arrived to pick our platoon up from Soshin VII, I knew I was about to see more of the universe than I had bargained for.

Mordu signed the contracts. IPL paid the shipping. And ship us they did. It was all minor stuff really, a four man raid on a science complex, seven mercs attacked one of our communications outposts, the gallente even brought a full platoon to try and disrupt the refining at one of our line harvester settlements.

Up until we fought that full platoon, I had taken fire, but never been term'ed. One of their recon units had managed to bring in a plasma thrower, I had only seen them on holo. I saw the red optics of his helmet a moment too late. Took a direct hit to the chestplate.

*snip*

"And god d*mn it I will be an artichoke, get off my stalk." ~Dust Fiend~

Joined - 06-28-12 ~Deal with it~

Woodgrain Atari
#2 Posted: 2016.01.21 20:57
Reserved

Joined - 06-28-12 ~Deal with it~

Woodgrain Atari
#3 Posted: 2016.01.21 20:58
Reserved