DUST 514 Technology Lab

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

SDE structure pita?

Author
G0DS AM0NG MEN
RUST415
#1 Posted: 2014.12.30 18:00
I started to have a look into the SDE a while ago to get some details which aren't visible elsewhere and noticed that it's a pain in the ass to work with it.

My main point of critism is that the data structure present in the SDE isn't object oriented which makes it harder than necessary to properly query for properties.
Also objects have attributes which aren't suited for them (e.g. maximumPerFitting for Skills)

I would expect one table for skills, one for weapons, etc.

Therefore I started to work on a little wrapper to convert the SDE data into a better suited structure.

How do you work with the SDE data and would such a wrapper be of interest for you?
fatal absolution
Bleeding Sun Conglomerate
#2 Posted: 2014.12.30 22:37  |  Edited by: THUNDERGROOVE
Hey. I can understand why someone would find it difficult to work with but I've found little issues

I've built a tool using a library that I've made here where I abstract the SDE using "objects".

You can see relevant documentation to my package here

The enemies of God stand broken before us. The light of the Reclaiming shines over them!

12/13/14 Never forget

G0DS AM0NG MEN
RUST415
#3 Posted: 2014.12.31 08:27
Thanks for sharing.
My approach is quite more radical by abstracting more parts from the SDE away and only using the SDE to fill a database of the abstracted values which could then be the source for further applications. The downside is that I have to write custom mappers for each Dust object type, because I don't do a 1:1 mapping from the SDE.
fatal absolution
Bleeding Sun Conglomerate
#4 Posted: 2014.12.31 09:22
I'm sure this would be very useful for people who don't have experience working with the SDE.

I'll subscribe to the thread. Just post when you have something up for it.

The enemies of God stand broken before us. The light of the Reclaiming shines over them!

12/13/14 Never forget

Amarr Templars
Amarr Empire
#5 Posted: 2015.03.02 14:11
Ann, I do not know if it is still applicable, but a loooong time ago, I wrote this about using the SDE:
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=126774&find=unread