CPM Campaigns

 
^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

2 Pages12Next page
 

CPM1 Candidate Appia Vibbia

Author
#1 Posted: 2014.07.01 08:26
Who is Appia Vibbia?
A question I get asked a lot by people is where I got the name from. I originally picked the name for a character of a pen and paper RPG (Exalted, Second Edition). The character concept revolved around moving fast and doing lots of damage without much capacity to defend herself. When making character names I like to take inspiration from history and mythology, after cycling through different pantheons for names I went back to Roman names, because I think they sound cool. So I looked up some Roman Gens, Liked Gens Appia and stuck with it. Vibbia is a misspelling of Vibia taken from a list that said it meant "one who stutters." I found that fitting as when tired I start to mumble or stutter and I try to say more than one word at the same time.

And the person behind the screen?
My name is Anann Pickard, I've wanted to be on the CPM1 since a Uprising 1.2, I've had "Appia Vibbia for CPM1" as my signature since January and I made a declaratory post here on 2014.04.14 in The Council's Chamber forum.

The linked post was supposed to be an introductory thing, where people could look and see and get a preliminary idea of who I am. There were distractions, however, as I brought up both the good and bad and got off topic for about a page. It's also dated by the changes of Alpha and Bravo.
I'm a passionate fan of CCP. I love the lore of New Eden and my main characters are always Intaki, but the passion I have is a double-edge sword. I can be vocal about the problems I see. Back in Uprising 1.0 I had a post in the feedback section about the rendering in DUST. There was a lot of frustration there on my part. On the other hand that's been the driving force behind my shotgun TTK post and my White Room post.

What do you bring to the table?
I made my first appearance on the Biomassed podcast on episode 7, "The Struggle is real." I had a "what had I been up to" speech at 17 minutes, and at 30 minutes in I talked about why I want to be and why I feel like I'd be a good choice for CPM1.
It could basically be boiled down to, I've seen a lot of roles in the game lost over time and I see a continued state of the game making the SP disparity between new players and old ones more and more of an important issue. I want to protect role diversity and new/low SP players from unintended consequences.

I'm one of the most experienced players in DUST. Through use of alts and just having been around for a long time I've played with every suit, every weapon, every vehicle, and every modules (that currently exists). I play with low-SP character to experience the game from the POV of the new players. I've been playing in Planetary Conquest matches since they started on May 18th, 2013.

I'm a spreadsheet warrior. I build and share tables I make for the purpose of either being a comparative tool or a quick reference guide. From scanning tables to TTK charts, I make sure to collect data, make calculations, and try to explain mechanics to other. This analysis skill lets me see a new addition and predict with great accuracy how something will affect the game.

Is there anything else you'd like to say?
I'm open for questions as this is fairly free-form and I'm not sure what's best to write.
DUST University
#2 Posted: 2014.07.02 08:30
There is one question that I feel is of utmost importance to the Finns and Swedes in the electorate: Appia can you please give us your thoughts on salmiak. Big smile
Amarr Templar One
#3 Posted: 2014.07.02 08:33
Usch!

Email Me judgerhadamanthus@gmail.com Twitter @Judge_EVELegion

#4 Posted: 2014.07.02 14:16
Haerr wrote:
There is one question that I feel is of utmost importance to the Finns and Swedes in the electorate: Appia can you please give us your thoughts on salmiak. Big smile

I really hate the flavor of licorice, but I honestly have never tried salmiak so I can only predict that I'll dislike it the way i dislike other licorice flavored things.
The Unholy Legion Of DarkStar
DARKSTAR ARMY
#5 Posted: 2014.07.03 09:23
HI!

Great OP - really enjoyed your thoughts here and one particular thing popped out at me that id like to know some more of your thoughts on, it was this comment:

Quote:
I've seen a lot of roles in the game lost over time and I see a continued state of the game making the SP disparity between new players and old ones more and more of an important issue. I want to protect role diversity and new/low SP players from unintended consequences.


I couldn't agree more with you on this - there does seem to be an ever widening gap between old and new players of the game, this gives me a fear that much of our progression wont be carried across into Legion. What do you feel could be done about this ever widening gap?

You mention that role specification could be the answer, perhaps could you elaborate on this? i find this quite interesting as specialization is the corner stone of EVE Online so would love to see it more in Dust 514

Thanks for your replies!

CEO
Nos Nothi
#6 Posted: 2014.07.03 16:13  |  Edited by: Lorhak Gannarsein
Appia Vibbia wrote:
Haerr wrote:
There is one question that I feel is of utmost importance to the Finns and Swedes in the electorate: Appia can you please give us your thoughts on salmiak. Big smile

I really hate the flavor of licorice, but I honestly have never tried salmiak so I can only predict that I'll dislike it the way i dislike other licorice flavored things.

I approve.

I had no idea what 'salmiak' was until I googled it, but 'Salty licorice'? That sounds foul. Only a highly competent person with upstanding moral fibre would dislike such a disgusting sounding 'food'.

In seriousness, I have a lot of respect for your experience as a DUST player (and forum warrior!) and you'll definitely be a top pick for my list.



I'll update with a question when I'm not too tired to be coherent!


EDIT: okay I have an important question: is Exalted fun? I've never played it.



You describe yourself as a 'spreadsheet warrior' and list your SG TTK graphing (which I recall was exceedingly well written and explained, btw) and your White Room post (again, excellent content) as some of your notable contributions.

Do you feel that while volunteering as a member of CPM1 you could still continue to make such contributions?

I'll cite, for example, the gradual drop off over time in the quality of the content of IWS posts (in the sense that his 'ideas posts' stopped coming out rather than that he suddenly had an intellectual breakdown) and indeed the gradual drop off in overt CPM engagement in the community as a whole as time passed? For example, the weekly rundowns Hans began that gradually slowed down and disappeared, Jenza's sudden and total absence from overt interaction with the community... The list goes on (and I'd continue writing it except 4:30 am).

TL;DR Will you still be able to contribute while a CPM?

SOGZ PANDA: But i also agree with lorhak cause he's an aussie and aussies are always right

#7 Posted: 2014.07.03 16:32
CEOPyrex CloneA wrote:
I couldn't agree more with you on this - there does seem to be an ever widening gap between old and new players of the game, this gives me a fear that much of our progression wont be carried across into Legion. What do you feel could be done about this ever widening gap?
I'm going to be very vague with the answer because it is more a design philosophy. I think weapons are fairly balanced in the sense that each on has a base damage value, Advance weapon has 5% more damage than the Standard and the Prototype has 10% more than the Standard.

I would like to see the progression on other modules to be reduced to something similar.
Advanced/Enhanced items should be the best choice in "fitting cost vs effectiveness" and to a lesser degree ADV/Enhanced should be the best choice on "effectiveness vs ISK cost" but I think we are at that second point already.

I'd like to see that done in tandem with something in the vein of EVE's pseudo tiericide where getting lvl 1 in a skill unlocks all variants while further skill points invested into it will slightly improve performance.

The only time you'd want to use Proto/Complex gear is when you're in a competitive PVP match like Planetary Conquest when you want/need that little extra bit of power

#8 Posted: 2014.07.03 16:35
Lorhak Gannarsein wrote:
I'll update with a question when I'm not too tired to be coherent!

I need to work on that, the skill of admitting I'm too tired, otherwise I end up repeating myself. That's why I stopped after only answer 1 of the 2 things CEO PyrexClone A brought up.
I'll return to that latter, need something to eat first.
Fatal Absolution
Bleeding Sun Conglomerate
#9 Posted: 2014.07.03 19:00
I think having the CPM to liaison between people who have a propensity to be quite angry and vicious to detractors or those that don't see things their way is a huge benefit.

However I think you happen to be one of those people Appia.


I feel there are many people that have great ideas like yourself, but would not make for adequate CPM members.

I don't think you will make for a good CPM member because of multiple examples where you have acted seemingly impulsively and immaturely in a manner that was not beneficial to getting your point across or even remaining professional.

Others may disagree, and if elected I hope you prove me wrong, but I do not feel confident about your ability to contribute consistently without causing distracting controversy.

However it would be foolish to discount you without seeing if you have changed at all.

Do you feel you have? Can you explain why you feel you would never emulate Nova Knife with regards to his expulsion?

Do you feel you could always be "blue" with other counsel members you disagree with?

Specifically, do you see the wisdom in refraining from insulting other members of the counsel/CCP publicly/privately?


#10 Posted: 2014.07.05 22:11
CEOPyrex CloneA wrote:
You mention that role specification could be the answer, perhaps could you elaborate on this? i find this quite interesting as specialization is the corner stone of EVE Online so would love to see it more in Dust 514

Thanks for your replies!

CEO


I'm a bit guilty of using specialization like a buzz word, but I believe the specifics of what you're talking about is when I spoke of Role Specialization. Right now the only role that is actually specialized are the Scouts. Each of the 3 Scouts performs a Role better than the other (yes, 3, the Amarr is the black sheep of the family and needs changing).

Each race favors armor or shield and high or low slots, this is a good thing as the basic layouts sort of nudge you into a direction of how to use the suit. But with 4 high and 3 low or 3 high and 4 low you cannot objectively say that one is better than the other in CQC or medium range combat. You can't say one is objectively better at hacking because there's a balance between speed and HP that is opinion based.

Each role should have something it does better than all the rest. Sentinels tank, Commandos deal out DPS, Logistics support, Scouts do infiltration & assassination & counter-espionage, and Assaults use weapons?

The sentinel bonus is exactly the same it just comes in 4 different flavors. We still need Amarr and Gallente heavy weapons, it doesn't matter if CCP doesn't want to do it because they want to focus on Legion because it is still something the game needs.
Until then the Sentinels can't really have specific roles because there just isn't enough variation for each race to focus on 1 aspect of being a Sentinel.
The Commando is like the Sentinel and also seemingly lacks a specific role, but because the bonus are only to racial light weapons you're somewhat forced into certain ranges and playstyles because of that, though you have the freedom to play with your suit by using 1 racial and 1 non-racial weapon.
The Logistics take this a step too far. Although they all equally have a fitting reduction bonus by specializing in just one equipment type it means that each are lacking. Min-logi is the best with a rep tool but equal to 18 of 20 other suits when it comes to using any other equipment. At the same time they have the most slots allowing generalization or enough versatility to make up for what it lacks compared to other role bonuses.
The Scouts are in the best position, they can be scouts, they can cover the base of the others but not as well and their bonuses make them individually purposed.

The Assault is lacking. Like the Commando it's weapon based. The overlap for Caldari is probably the worst. Rapid reload bonus exist for both Calmando and Cal Assault. The Ion pistol is the only one that needs the Gallente Assault bonus, as most people don't like the tight fire of the shotgun, the AR already has a sharpshooter skill, the plasma cannon is just a orange ball, you'd think the Ion Pistol would benefit but... yeah...
The Amarr Assault bonus has general approval, and the Minmatar was "upgraded."
There is a lack of role specialization for these guys. They need a bonus that helps guide a playstyle instead of helping the use of a weapon (outside of the Amarr, because I like that one P)

That's what I've meant by specialization .
#11 Posted: 2014.07.05 22:29
Lorhak Gannarsein wrote:
Appia Vibbia wrote:
Haerr wrote:
There is one question that I feel is of utmost importance to the Finns and Swedes in the electorate: Appia can you please give us your thoughts on salmiak. Big smile

I really hate the flavor of licorice, but I honestly have never tried salmiak so I can only predict that I'll dislike it the way i dislike other licorice flavored things.

I approve.

I had no idea what 'salmiak' was until I googled it, but 'Salty licorice'? That sounds foul. Only a highly competent person with upstanding moral fibre would dislike such a disgusting sounding 'food'.

In seriousness, I have a lot of respect for your experience as a DUST player (and forum warrior!) and you'll definitely be a top pick for my list.



I'll update with a question when I'm not too tired to be coherent!


EDIT: okay I have an important question: is Exalted fun? I've never played it.

Exalted is as complicated as it is fun... which is both. The game I'm playing right now is amazing and fixed so many problems that the first two edtions had, many of which are common in RPG- too many freelancers hired to write stuff on their own and either cut/paste from old edition or make things up without regards to precedent or game balance because it sounded cool. http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Exalted does a good job of explaining it if you understand the memes, it's just as ridiculous as it sounds.
Quote:

You describe yourself as a 'spreadsheet warrior' and list your SG TTK graphing (which I recall was exceedingly well written and explained, btw) and your White Room post (again, excellent content) as some of your notable contributions.

Do you feel that while volunteering as a member of CPM1 you could still continue to make such contributions?

I'll cite, for example, the gradual drop off over time in the quality of the content of IWS posts (in the sense that his 'ideas posts' stopped coming out rather than that he suddenly had an intellectual breakdown) and indeed the gradual drop off in overt CPM engagement in the community as a whole as time passed? For example, the weekly rundowns Hans began that gradually slowed down and disappeared, Jenza's sudden and total absence from overt interaction with the community... The list goes on (and I'd continue writing it except 4:30 am).

TL;DR Will you still be able to contribute while a CPM?


Yes, the things I do are things that I'll still have the time and the drive to continue. A lot of the large posts I make are started out with my just screwing around with a spreadsheet or in game doing silly things, I get an idea from that or because a specific topic had been talked about a bunch. I finish the spreadsheet (in minimalist style) and then I write my posts to go along with it.
It usually takes me about 1-3 days to write out these ideas in full and make them pretty enough for people to understand, but that duration also comes with me being out of the house of weekends and being done in a break between matches, because I actually play DUST.
This is a serious issue that I think all the candidates need to think about, one I know I will not hinder my ability to help the community or reduce my activity
Den of Swords
#12 Posted: 2014.07.06 10:19
Appia is one of the few candidates I had the misfortune of being in the crosshairs of and as a constant victim of getting shot I know the difference between getting shot by an average player and one well above average. Appia is well margined in the latter.

Appia also comes well prepared for this getting into contact with various folks and the incumbents and has been campaigning for a long while now knowing the potential risks of having an early candidacy announcement. The fact Appia has been playing and playing very well this candidate I feel from the posts made so far is very well in tune with the games ins and outs and would be an ideal player to throw preliminaries at or the candidate to get the ball rolling on forgotten issues.

Former CPM 0, CPM 1

Omni-Soldier, Forum Warrior

#13 Posted: 2014.07.21 03:02
I know it's late and you all that are reading this have already cast your votes, but there is one thing that it has taken me this long to realize.

I'm like 100% positive that I'm the only candidate that;s spent more hours on this game intoxicated than I have sober
#14 Posted: 2014.07.21 09:52
Appia Vibbia wrote:
I know it's late and you all that are reading this have already cast your votes, but there is one thing that it has taken me this long to realize.

I'm like 100% positive that I'm the only candidate that;s spent more hours on this game intoxicated than I have sober

Confirmed.

The Community; One big family, sometimes dysfunctional.

#15 Posted: 2014.07.23 13:44
I support the only candidate who can keep up with me on my drinking sprees.

I won the game.

Greedy Bastards
#16 Posted: 2014.07.23 15:25
I'm screwed.

How powerful will you be?

(Your Wizard Level equals the number of Magic Crystal Balls you own)

Wizard Level:1337

#17 Posted: 2014.07.24 02:29
Anarchide wrote:
I'm screwed.

Blink

I won the game.

OSG Planetary Operations
#18 Posted: 2014.07.24 04:07
Immortal John Ripper wrote:
I support the only candidate who can keep up with me on my drinking sprees.

Done and done good sir, in fact I bet the more you drink the easier it would be to keep up with your pace... we are talking about logi work to help you live during these binges right? Blink
#19 Posted: 2014.07.24 10:33
Cross Atu wrote:
Immortal John Ripper wrote:
I support the only candidate who can keep up with me on my drinking sprees.

Done and done good sir, in fact I bet the more you drink the easier it would be to keep up with your pace... we are talking about logi work to help you live during these binges right? Blink

Appia is an excellent logi and I trust her to avenge my death if and when in those... *chuckle* rare instances that I die.

I won the game.

#20 Posted: 2014.07.24 13:59
Immortal John Ripper wrote:
Cross Atu wrote:
Immortal John Ripper wrote:
I support the only candidate who can keep up with me on my drinking sprees.

Done and done good sir, in fact I bet the more you drink the easier it would be to keep up with your pace... we are talking about logi work to help you live during these binges right? Blink

Appia is an excellent logi and I trust her to avenge my death if and when in those... *chuckle* rare instances that I die.


"Appia" is a slayer logi. "Appia" runs a 1000 total HP Gal Logi with a Core Rep tool, Viziam Flux Drop-Uplink, F/45 Remote Explosives, and Allotek Nanohives

"Priestess" on the other hand is a true lady-Logibro.

Don't even bother commenting on balance or functions of the game if you can't even go 1:1 KDR against me.

2 Pages12Next page
Forum Jump