CPM Campaigns

 
^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

3 Pages123Next page
 

Kevall for CPM: Working for a secure future for all in New Eden

Author
DUST University
#1 Posted: 2014.06.12 17:55
Following confirmation of my eligibility to stand with the publication of the first CPM White Paper, I'd like to formally announce my candidature for election to the Council of Planetary Management 1.

I do not take this decision lightly, nor do I for personal gain but rather to work for the expansion of the game beyond what it is now to what it can be. I want to do this not only for all the players we have now but for the ones we've had in the past and the ones to come.

I have always been confident as to the potential of Dust 514 and how it could possibly change the landscape of the gaming industry. I'm also convinced that it can have a hugely positive effect on the universe of New Eden that CCP created for Eve Online, which was how I first came to learn of the biggest sandbox in the world.

As the CEO of a training corporation, I of course have certain aspects of the games development that I wish to promote and push for, should I make the final 7 in the ballot. But these are avenues of change to the game in it current form, that I strongly believe will be of a massive benefit to all corporations and players in the game.

My corporation, DUST University, is one of the largest corporations not only in Dust 514 but in the whole of New Eden. While size in itself means nothing, it does mean that I have had to stretch the corporation mechanics and User Interface of Dust 514 to its absolute limits, more so than any other CEO most likely and found it wanting. Badly.

In order to run a corporation of this size in Dust 514, I've had to use the existing Corp interface in the Eve Client, which in itself has a multitude of problems, most of which are to the detriment of smoothly running a corp in another game. But compared to what we have in the Dust Client...

Corporations are key to the expansion of the community in Dust 514. Player retention is significantly improved when they join a social group, both in Dust and Eve. And the cornerstone of any corporate structure is how it can be run and maintained by its Officers and Management. As long as the best way to run and maintain a corp in Dust 514 is through the client of another game then Dust cannot be considered a truely separate entity within New Eden. As long as Dust's UI needs Eve to run its corps effectively, Dust's UI can be considered an utter failure.

I hope to persuade CCP as to the dire need to change that during my tenure on the CPM, so that future corps can flourish.

In addition to this goal, my role as an instructor of new players as alerted me to serious shortcomings as to the quality of the New Player Experience in Dust 514. While the format of Eve Online perhaps lends itself better to being able to control the flow of knowledge to a new player (it wasn't always as it is now in Eve), the lack of the regular FPS stalwarts such as Campaigns and missions in Dust 514 limits what can be taught by the game itself. While joining a corp can help significantly, a player must first know that they can join a corporation in the first place.

I've already presented in the past to CCP, proof of concepts for an improved NPE, some of which did make the game in later patches, either directly or indirectly because of my work but I do know that CPM0 were shown my work at some point.

I've also developed something of a reputation as a consistent botherer of Dev's via social media and at Fanfest. I was a noted advocator of Corp and Alliance mail during the closed beta (to the point where I swear CCP included it to just shut me up), I also pushed consistently for Mark as Read and Delete all to the point where CCP Foxfour snapped I think. I also, to my knowledge, remain the only non CPM player directly mentioned in a Dev Blog.

I was also at the behest of CPM0 from what I understand, consulted on the introduction and implementation of the Academy matches by CCP.

There are still many things that I wish for in the game that I hopefully will have the chance to bring to CCP's attention. Things such as chat admin rights within the Dust Client, Titles and Medals for those players in a corp that contribute to it's running. While these things may not seem as interesting as a new weapon or suit role, their permanent legacy will be to help Corporations to grow and with them, the player base.

While these are matters that concern me greatly, I'm not without concern for other aspects of the game and where we are in at the moment.

PC has been a disaster in that we have so much money in Dust now in the hands of a few, that any future economy in the game risks imploding before it gets a chance to get a foothold.

The constant nerfing and buffing cycle employed over the last year, is diminishing player interest in sticking to a long term training plan and is directly responsible for the FOTM phenomenon, a creation entirely of CCP's doing.

A lack of communication, sometimes understandable but nevertheless can create longer lasting problems such as player indifference if not handled better.

These are just some of the concerns I share with the community and hopefully, with your help I can be in a position to express them directly to CCP on your behalf.

Thank you for your consideration.

Twitter DennieFleetfoot
Email dennie.fleetfoot@hotmail.com
My YouTube Channel
Skype optimusfrag

You can also read my blog here

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

Eyniletti Rangers
Minmatar Republic
#2 Posted: 2014.06.13 20:41
I'll state two Conerns that I have regarding you?

Will you be tough enough to stand up to CCP when the time comes?

Do you Play enough to have an Good Understanding of the Game?

The Corporate Raiders PAC Endorses Free Tacos

Nixon for CPM

The Struggle is Real

DUST University
#3 Posted: 2014.06.13 21:18
As to your first concern, I would hope that any Dev's reading this or those that were at Fanfest this year with me would say that isn't the case. It's true that I might not get angered at them as some might like but I'd prefer to make my point with reasoned argument. There have already been several UI changes to the game over the last year, that I was either a leading voice for or specifically asked for because I found it was inhibiting corp growth or admin.

I personally have nearly 37 million skill points. I got them by playing the game. I would love to play more but its a common problem with CEO's I'm afraid. I spend a lot of my time running the corp rather than playing the game itself.

It's part of my platform that the corp UI needs a complete overhaul so that the corps are easier to run, more admin that is done automatically. A much stronger corp structure is key to player growth in the game and player retention. I've already spoken a great deal with CCP in this area and hope to make even better progress as part of the CPM.

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

Krullefor Organization
Minmatar Republic
#4 Posted: 2014.06.16 18:56
You remember the vehicle respec in 1.7 we got?

1. My LLAV fit revolved around my heavy suit. I skilled into a heavy suit and forge gun so I don't get 1 shotted out of my LLAV. Now that the vehicle respec happened, I had no use for this heavy suit, the vehicle respec screwed my heavy fit and forgegun suit up. If and what would you do about this issue.
DUST University
#5 Posted: 2014.06.16 19:53
I'm now confirmed as being on the list of accepted candidates.

Thank you for the support given so far and that which is to come.

o7

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

DUST University
#6 Posted: 2014.06.16 20:17
Vethosis wrote:
You remember the vehicle respec in 1.7 we got?

1. My LLAV fit revolved around my heavy suit. I skilled into a heavy suit and forge gun so I don't get 1 shotted out of my LLAV. Now that the vehicle respec happened, I had no use for this heavy suit, the vehicle respec screwed my heavy fit and forgegun suit up. If and what would you do about this issue.


There'd have been very little I could've done for you individually. I have to be honest with you on that one.

The CPM as an advisory group have to, by necessity, deal with abstractions rather than attempt to micro manage concerns at an individual level. We wouldn't have the time to do that for everyone.

That bring said, if you were to gather other players to which this had been a major concern, say by creating and maintaining a thread on the subject, you'd create more weight to your argument which we could then press upon CCP.

We've all had fittings or tactics messed up by respec's (part of the reason I'm not in favour of them in general) however small balance changes like Hotfix Alpha and the upcoming Bravo are a far more flexible tool and less damaging to existing play styles.

The vehicle changes in 1.7 were needed and its a harsh truth some players would have to rogered in order to fix a bigger problem.

Hopefully, legion can avoid the pitfalls that befell Dust and design systems that work from day one such as vehicle balance.

To brutally honest, I'd be in favour of there being no vehicles in Legion at all until CCP actually decide what role they play on the battlefield and prevent them from being just better equipped slayers.

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

Random Gunz
#7 Posted: 2014.06.16 20:43
Kevall Longstride wrote:
The vehicle changes in 1.7 were needed


I must disagree there. Introducing months of horror for every infantry player in the game is never "needed".

CPM1 Elect. Thanks for all your support. soraya@biomassed.net for ideas, thoughts, and feedback.

DUST University
#8 Posted: 2014.06.20 10:42
I would like post a little bit about what is happening in DUST University and how it pertains to the future of Dust and Legion.

Right now, I'd be an outright liar if I was to say that D-UNI was as active corp as it once was. The Legion announcement hit us very hard as I knew it would when I first learned of Project Legion. For those not aware I, along with a select number of community members were told and asked for opinion about Legion prior to Fanfest. The details as to how I was told are covered by NDA. But the fact I knew beforehand became an open secret at Fanfest once the news was out.

I knew that new player numbers would drop significantly because people would, wrongly as it turned out, just assume that Dust 514 would have the plug pulled almost straight away. Legion is at least 12 to 18 months away from being a shippable product according to what all the Dev's were saying at Fanfest and Dust is likely to continue for at least a year after that.

Many of the CEO's of the other corps do 'inactivity culls' much as I do. I personally kick members that haven't logged on in the previous calendar month on the first of every month. So on the 1 July, I will be kicking members that haven't logged on in the month of June.

Why highlight this?

Because of the size of the D-UNI membership, the cull's I perform have a statistical value as to the 'health' of the community. I've always publicly announced the level of inactivity as a percentage of the size of D-UNI. For pretty much the last year it has remained a steady 18-22%, meaning that I'd kicked that percent of players for inactivity. But we'd be getting many new applicants to replace them.

However the 1 July cull will be different. This will be the first cull that will show the direct impact of the Legion announcement. Many players logged in over the Fanfest Weekend which was the first one of May, so I wouldn't have kicked them in the 1 June Cull.

As it stands right now the next Cull will show somewhere in between 40-50% removed for inactivity. This will be because the numbers of new players joining the D-UNI has significantly fallen between the 2nd week of May to the 3rd week of June.

However...

New Player applicants are once again beginning to grow and while they are never going to reach the heady heights of the 70+ a day we once got till Legion is released, they are giving me cause for optimism for the continued growth of the player base. It will be minimal growth but growth nevertheless. And because I use the Eve Client and are able to look at a players employment history and date of Merc creation, I'm seeing a growing number of veteran players returning, I suspect because of the Hotfixes deployed by CCP Rattati and his team.

And this is the main reason that I want to be on the CPM in the first place. D-UNI managed to do a great deal for new players despite the games UI and infrastructure being so NPE unfriendly. But being on the CPM would give me a chance, however limited, to ensure that Legion provides the tools required for ANY corporation to do the most important work they do, which is to provide the chance to create emergent gameplay. I can also help ensure too that the NPE in Dust is not forgotten. Some of that may require UI change, some could be done with server side changes to make running a Dust corp easier in the Eve client.

I'm often accused of being the most optimistic of the candidates despite the setbacks that CCP either intentionally or unintentionally hit us with. But I do see much cause for optimism with the figures I'm able to gleam from my corp data. D-UNI can still have a huge part to play in the story of Dust and continuing in Legion and I want to be at the heart of ensuring that all corporations in the in game can grow strong and effect the history of New Eden.

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

Nos Nothi
#9 Posted: 2014.06.21 21:08
Greetings CPM Candidate!

You and your peers are formally invited to attend what will no doubt become a provocative debate on the topic of Scouts! We very much look forward to your participation in said rumble, should you take interest and be so kind as to opine.

We do hope you swing by and weigh in:
Your Summons, Sir or Madam

o7
DUST University
#10 Posted: 2014.06.24 13:45
After some prodding of CCP Z and Rouge, we have the 1st screenshots for the player market in Legion..

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=166274&find=unread

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

DUST University
#11 Posted: 2014.06.25 09:15
Adipem Nothi wrote:
Greetings CPM Candidate!

You and your peers are formally invited to attend what will no doubt become a provocative debate on the topic of Scouts! We very much look forward to your participation in said rumble, should you take interest and be so kind as to opine.

We do hope you swing by and weigh in:
Your Summons, Sir or Madam

o7


https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2226676#post2226676

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

Nos Nothi
#12 Posted: 2014.06.27 16:25
I think I said this a long time ago, but I'll say it again: you have my vote.

Your efforts with D-Uni are unmatched by any other in the community, I think, and certainly I'd likely not be playing the game anymore without the awesome group of people I met there (even if they're all European -_- dat TZ doe).

SOGZ PANDA: But i also agree with lorhak cause he's an aussie and aussies are always right

DUST University
#13 Posted: 2014.06.28 00:05
Thank you kindly. I just like to help.

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

The Unholy Legion Of DarkStar
DARKSTAR ARMY
#14 Posted: 2014.06.30 16:17
Kevall Longstride wrote:


I hope to persuade CCP as to the dire need to change that during my tenure on the CPM, so that future corps can flourish.

In addition to this goal, my role as an instructor of new players as alerted me to serious shortcomings as to the quality of the New Player Experience in Dust 514.

I've already presented in the past to CCP, proof of concepts for an improved NPE, some of which did make the game in later patches, either directly or indirectly because of my work but I do know that CPM0 were shown my work at some point.

I've also developed something of a reputation as a consistent botherer of Dev's via social media and at Fanfest.
A lack of communication, sometimes understandable but nevertheless can create longer lasting problems such as player indifference if not handled better.

These are just some of the concerns I share with the community and hopefully, with your help I can be in a position to express them directly to CCP on your behalf.


Hello!

Thanks for the OP - was a great read and certainly can see you are keen to demonstrate your value to this process, just wanted to say thanks for the work you have done so far with CCP, its certainly something to be proud of, hence its featuring in your candidacy post.

I would like to ask a couple of questions based on your OP and some of the content within.

Firstly i was fascinated to read about your views concerning the NPE - this is something that i can only imagine is central to Dust Uni given the role you guys play in teaching and motivating players to be part of the EVE IP - my question would be how important do you feel the NPE is to Dust 514 now?

Given that the CPM role is to focus on Dust 514 - how do you see yourself adding value to the CPM on this topic? Should CCP be continuing to market and grow Dust 514? would you say that there is much CCP can do now to the Dust 514 client to enhance the NPE experience?

My second question is more based around your comment on being a 'consistent bother-er of Devs via social media' this is something that i think will interest many in the voting process as its fairly obvious that the main issues of CPM0 was the lack of 'edge' in pushing CCP to engage with the office, firstly do you feel that you have actually 'pressured' CCP into action via your previous actions and if so, what were the outcomes of this process?

Secondly i would like to get your opinion on what qualities you feel you have in terms of being 'the bad guy'? You strike many as being a really nice guy and your proven ability to engage and also inspire feedback from CCP shows you to be a very personable guy but my fear is that this was the primary issue of CPM0 - lots of nice pleasant people who didnt want to 'risk' their seat at the table by being insistent and forceful to CCP that they were not giving the office its due attention.

What would be your reply to the above statement?

CEO
DUST University
#15 Posted: 2014.06.30 17:56
CEOPyrex CloneA wrote:
Kevall Longstride wrote:


I hope to persuade CCP as to the dire need to change that during my tenure on the CPM, so that future corps can flourish.

In addition to this goal, my role as an instructor of new players as alerted me to serious shortcomings as to the quality of the New Player Experience in Dust 514.

I've already presented in the past to CCP, proof of concepts for an improved NPE, some of which did make the game in later patches, either directly or indirectly because of my work but I do know that CPM0 were shown my work at some point.

I've also developed something of a reputation as a consistent botherer of Dev's via social media and at Fanfest.
A lack of communication, sometimes understandable but nevertheless can create longer lasting problems such as player indifference if not handled better.

These are just some of the concerns I share with the community and hopefully, with your help I can be in a position to express them directly to CCP on your behalf.


Hello!

Thanks for the OP - was a great read and certainly can see you are keen to demonstrate your value to this process, just wanted to say thanks for the work you have done so far with CCP, its certainly something to be proud of, hence its featuring in your candidacy post.

I would like to ask a couple of questions based on your OP and some of the content within.

Firstly i was fascinated to read about your views concerning the NPE - this is something that i can only imagine is central to Dust Uni given the role you guys play in teaching and motivating players to be part of the EVE IP - my question would be how important do you feel the NPE is to Dust 514 now?

Given that the CPM role is to focus on Dust 514 - how do you see yourself adding value to the CPM on this topic? Should CCP be continuing to market and grow Dust 514? would you say that there is much CCP can do now to the Dust 514 client to enhance the NPE experience?

My second question is more based around your comment on being a 'consistent bother-er of Devs via social media' this is something that i think will interest many in the voting process as its fairly obvious that the main issues of CPM0 was the lack of 'edge' in pushing CCP to engage with the office, firstly do you feel that you have actually 'pressured' CCP into action via your previous actions and if so, what were the outcomes of this process?

Secondly i would like to get your opinion on what qualities you feel you have in terms of being 'the bad guy'? You strike many as being a really nice guy and your proven ability to engage and also inspire feedback from CCP shows you to be a very personable guy but my fear is that this was the primary issue of CPM0 - lots of nice pleasant people who didnt want to 'risk' their seat at the table by being insistent and forceful to CCP that they were not giving the office its due attention.

What would be your reply to the above statement?

CEO


On your first point I would say that of course the NPE is just as important to Dust 514 as it's ever been. While understandably not being the primary focus of CCP Shanghai, it has in fact become as playable as it's ever been right now after the work that CCP Rattati has done with Alpha and Bravo.

And at this point it like to remind everyone that Dust is far from dead. Project Legion is at the very least 18 months away from being launched and from the many chats I had with members of the Dev team at Fanfest this year including with Rouge, it is very much the intention of CCP to continue supporting the game for at least another year after Legion is ready. And this is I feel reflected in the fact that our applicant numbers from new toons is beginning to rise again. They won't ever match the pre Legion numbers of course but they're hovering around the 70% mark.

With the smaller team on Dust it'll be more cost efficient to do as much as can be done for as long as can done on the server side. And there is still much that can yet be done for the game using that method. Rattati has yet to look at what can be done for corps tools and admin server side. There could be a number of features that could use the Eve client. Not ideal I grant you, but preferable to nothing being done.

Despite what can be done at CCP's side alone, I don't think it unreasonable to conclude that at some point a proper 1.9 patch will be required. But only when there is enough to substantially improve the quality of the game and fix what can't be on TQ alone. I would continue to push for this while on the CPM.

Here I have to raise a point of order with one of your questions. It is very much my belief that the CPM's main focus is in fact the Community that Dust 514 has pulled together not the actual game itself. It's true that much of the work of CPM1 is going to be within Dust 514 and the players of it but given the level of Dev interaction/feedback on the Legion Forum regarding, progression, UI, salvaging and player market, I find it inconceivable that CPM 1 will have no imput into Legion at all. There are still many concerns that players have regarding Legion and this CPM will have the opportunity to ensure these concerns are communicated in a meaningful way to CCP at a stage of its development that could prevent major problems later.

As to your second question there is no real proof I can offer you here other than to relay a couple of things I learnt from conversation at Fanfest with the Dev team and members of the current CPM. I'll leave it them if they wish to confirm what I've been told.

Throughout the patching process of Uprising, all the way to 1.8, I've been inforned that my name has been brought up more times than any other player in discussion between the CPM and CCP. The term 'Dennie feature' (my Eve character) became part of the vernacular. Uprising 1.5 was apparently referred to internally in Shanghai as The Dennie Patch. Big smile

Continued...

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

DUST University
#16 Posted: 2014.06.30 17:59  |  Edited by: Kevall Longstride
On your final point I personally don't think that being a bad guy as you put it, is needed nor required. If the stories I've heard in Fanfest are indeed correct, I've been lucky enough to have an influence in the game without resorting to the tactics of a bully or bad guy.

As to the assessment that the effectiveness of CPM0 was stymied in some way by them being unwilling to risk their seat and stand up to CCP on matters of concern, that is not the impression I've been given by the Dev's who've been on the receiving end of CPM verbal bashing. Any shortcomings that could be levelled at CPM0 are as more likely the result of CCP underutilising them or even ignoring them, which by CCP's own admission was much of the problem in the early part of CPM0's tenure. The situation improved considerably once CCP Rouge came on board. You only need speak to him for five minutes to know that his faith in the concept of the CPM is huge.

What we have to remember is that the CPM was as much of an experiment for CCP as the CSM in Eve was originally. That being said, it's my opinion that CCP took a one size fits all approach to begin with, believing that what worked for the CSM would work for the fledging CPM. This of course in hindsight was a nonsense as the two games were very different, with the CPM representing a player base totally removed from what CCP were used to dealing with in the past. To be perfectly honest, I think we as a player base scared the living crap out CCP to begin with.

I hope I've managed to answer yours and any other players questions so far and invite everyone to continue asking them.

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

DUST University
#17 Posted: 2014.07.01 10:36  |  Edited by: Kevall Longstride
Completely unrelated but my hometown just best decorated town on the Tour de France route going through Yorkshire this weekend!!

Very proud to be a Crag Rat today!!Big smile

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

T.H.I.R.D R.O.C.K
#18 Posted: 2014.07.01 10:43
Kevall Longstride wrote:
Completely unrelated but my [url]http://letourknaresborough.org.uk/14-activities-front-page/112-knaresborough-is-the-winner-of-the-best-dressed-tdf-town.html]hometown[/url] just best decorated town on the Tour de France route going through Yorkshire this weekend!!

Very proud to be a Crag Rat today!!Big smile

It's a small world! They'll be going through my home town of York too! Although your town has really gone further with decorations... all we have is a few yellow bikes!Smile

SCAN ATTEMPT PREVENTED

EvE - 21 Day Trial

DUST University
#19 Posted: 2014.07.01 10:47
It's what the CPM needs. A bit of Yorkshire Gumption.

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

DUST University
#20 Posted: 2014.07.01 17:03
Some blue sky thinking as to spawning and uplinks for Legion.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2236995#post2236995

CPM 1&2 Member

CEO of DUST University

3 Pages123Next page
Forum Jump