Rookie Training Grounds

^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

7 Pages123Next pageLast page

Learning Coalition (Attention New Players & Experienced Mentors)

Author
Immortal Guides
#1 Posted: 2014.06.09 16:00  |  Edited by: Fox Gaden
The Learning Coalition is a volunteer organization focussed on teaching players about the game. It is not a Corporation, and it has no specific Alliance affiliations. Players from any Corp can join the Learning Coalition, whether they want to receive guidance, provide guidance to others, or both. There is no clear line between student and instructor, as many advanced students are eager to share what they have learned with new players, and many experienced players seek guidance from other veterans when trying a new role which is unfamiliar to them.

The Learning Coalition chat channel has also become known as the place in game to discuss balance and game mechanics as there are experts there from all aspects of the game. In may ways it has become an in-game extension of the Rookie Training Grounds forum.

Original Learning Coalition thread. (September 6, 2013 to June 9, 2014)

Joining the Learning Coalition:

To join the Learning Coalition you need only join the “Learning Coalition” chat channel (no quotes).

What is expected of you:

- The only requirement is that you treat other members of the channel with respect.

- If you are a new player, you should be asking questions. We can’t read your mind or see your screen, so we don’t know what you are struggling with until you tell us. You should also activate voice in the options menu, and then squad up with experienced players whenever you get the opportunity. Listen to how they communicate and the strategies they use. If you have a mic, ask questions when there is a pause in the action. Let people know what role you are trying to play or suit/weapon you are trying to use, and they may provide you some useful advice to help you along.

- If you are an experienced player you should try to answer questions posted in Learning Coalition. If you have space in your squads and you are feeling patient, then you should invite players from Learning Coalition. Sometimes this will give you a chance to mentor a new player. Sometimes this will allow you to meet a Vet from another Corp who you would not normally interact with. Please try to set Corporate squabbles aside when squadding in Learning Coalition.

Taking training to the next level:

If you wish to do more than just answer questions and squad with new players, you are encouraged to do so. Whether you want to give lectures, take on apprentices, or come up with your own training models, you are welcome to operate through the Learning Coalition. You may even charge for your services if you would like, however since most of the training is free, you would need to offer something extra special to get people to pay for your services.

Training Groups:

If you have a group of friends who all want to help out with training new players, you can form a Training Group. Just give yourself a name, and post in this thread about what you offer. Some of the Training Groups that Learning Coalition has hosted in the past include:
- The Mango: Founded by Charlotte O’Dell)
- Bojo’s School of The Trades: Founded by Bojo The Mighty after disbanding the Corp of the same name.

Corporate Members:

If you run a training Corporation you can apply to join Learning Coalition as a Corporate Member. As a Corporate member your Corporation will be listed as being part of the Leaning Coalition, and the CEO will have a seat on the Learning Coalition Council, which governs the Learning Coalition. (It is not as formal as it sounds.) Feeder Corps do not qualify for Corporate membership, although the management and membership of Feeder Corps are welcome to join Learning Coalition chat as independent members. The Learning Coalition is looking for Corporations that focus on helping new players find their destiny, wherever it might lead.

The advantage to being a Corporate member is that the chat channel can help to supplement the services you already provide. Most small and even medium size training Corporations do not have experienced instructors on at all times, or have instructors experienced in every role. By encouraging all members to join Learning Coalition chat, any questions that can’t be answered within the Corp, can be extended to the volunteers from many other Corporations in the chat channel.

Current Active Corporate Members:
- Immortal Guides: CEO is Renier Gaden (Fox Gaden)
- Hyasyoda Terrestrial Acquisitions Firm: CEO is Stupid Blueberry
- Nox Lupos [NXLPS]: CEO is KILL3R H3LLH0UND (Specilizes in Scout Training. R 0 N 1 N 2.0)

Inactive Corporate Members:
- R 0 N 1 N: CEO is Lightning xVx (Corporation is mostly inactive at this time.)

Hand/Eye coordination cannot be taught. For everything else there is the Learning Coalition.

Immortal Guides
#2 Posted: 2014.06.09 16:00  |  Edited by: Fox Gaden
Learning Alliance:

It is not necessary for a Corp or player to be a member of the Learning Alliance to be a member of the Learning Coalition, but any Corp which is a Member of the Learning Coalition may request membership in the Learning Alliance.

Joining the Learning Alliance will allow Corps to share Alliance Chat, Alliance Mail, and Alliance Squads in the Squad finder with other Learning Coalition Corps.

Learning Alliance members:
- Immortal Guides: CEO is Renier Gaden (Fox Gaden)
- TRUE SAVAGES: CEO is ZACK SAVAGE CREW
- Tank Crew Omega: CEO is JKG555
- Standby Retaliation: CEO is Jake's Minner/JAKE REDBLOOD
- Brothers Of Eternity: CEO is N00000000000000
- Brothers Of W.A.R.: CEO is BISHOP CHAINER
- U.S.N.E. Army: CEO is Ash Sabzeh
- Chaos Of W.A.R.: CEO is RAZE MOGIS
- Dust 514 pro ops: CEO is amdowns417 rocks

Etiquette & Moderation:

We ask that you treat other members of the Learning Coalition chat channel with respect and patience. People who are being exceedingly disruptive or offensive may be removed from the channel.

- Please refrain from posting recruitment ads in Learning Coalition chat. You are free to tell people all about how great your Corp is once they join your squad. If you want them to join your Corp I suggest you be as pleasant and helpful to your squad members as possible.

- Please don’t spam the chat channel. Spam is the posting of text without meaningful content, or excessive repetition of content for the express purpose of taking up space and pushing previous posts off the top of the screen.

- Please don’t post excessively explicit sexual comments, as there may be children present.

- Please don’t post hate speech. We don’t want to see sexist, racist, or homophobic comments.

- Please don’t bully or harass people in the Learning Coalition chat channel.

While I give a lot of leeway when it comes to colourful language and figures of speech, excessive violations of these principals will not be tolerated. I have on occasion had to ban people from the channel for various lengths of time. Thankfully this is not a common occurrence.

If you feel someone is violating the rules of etiquette stated above, send an in-game mail to Renier Gaden. Please state the name of the perpetrator, the time the incident occurred, and describe in detail what they did. I often leave Renier Gaden logged on, and if the incident has not scrolled off the top of the channel, I may be able to act immediately. If I don’t have access to the chat log I will record your complaint, and keep an eye on the person to watch for further violations.

We had a second moderator, but his account is currently inactive.

Hand/Eye coordination cannot be taught. For everything else there is the Learning Coalition.

Immortal Guides
#3 Posted: 2014.06.09 16:01  |  Edited by: Fox Gaden
History:

Origin Thread (Where the idea started.)

The Learning Coalition was founded in September of 2013 by four players who were actively involved in training new players, and were regular posters on the Rookie Training Grounds forum. We felt that we could help more people if we shared our resources and supported each other. It would also provide a support structure for others who wanted to train new players to get their operations off the ground. It was basically seen as a coalition of all the independent training outfits.

The four Co-founders were:
- Fox Gaden (Renier Gaden): CEO of Immortal Guides.
- Artificer Ghost: At the time was CEO of Bojo’s School of the Trades.
- Charlotte O’Dell: Head of The Mango, a new player training group.
- Bojo The Mighty: Founder and former CEO of Bojo’s School of the Trades.

The Learning Coalition Council, the informal governing body of the Learning Coalition, included the 4 founding members as well as CEO’s of Corporations that joined the Learning Coalition later.

Since the Learning Coalition is very free form, allowing members a great deal of freedom to run their operations in whatever way they feel is appropriate, there is rarely any cause for the Council to meet. The whole idea is to support people’s attempts to provide training and guidance to new players, without getting in their way.

Former Corporate Members:
- Bojo’s School of the Trades: Founded by Bojo The Mighty, run by Artificer Ghost when it joined the Learning Coalition, later returned to Bojo The Mighty who disbanded the Corp in a downsizing restructuring which produced the Training Group of the same name.
- Learning Coalition College: Founded by Artificer Ghost in order to allow the restructuring of BsotT. Has since been closed.
- Terrestrial Suppression Force: Founded by ConantheCimmerian, who is now in another Corp.

Immortal Guides
#4 Posted: 2014.06.09 16:02  |  Edited by: Fox Gaden
Bulletin Board

Immortal Guides
#5 Posted: 2014.06.09 16:03  |  Edited by: Fox Gaden
Recruiting from the Learning Coalition student body:

First some ground rules. Please do not post recruitment ads in Learning Coalition chat. That is not what that channel is for. However, once you have someone in your squad you are free to tell them about how great your Corp is and what your plans for the future are. If you like how they play, let them know you would be willing to accept them in your Corp if they wanted to apply. Its called Graduation folks.

The Learning Coalition is a collection of Trade Schools, Training Groups, and private tutors that help new players learn to be effective solders. We are trying to get them ready to meet the requirements of the Corps they wish to join. Some leave early to join casual or small independent Corps, while others stick around longer until their skills have developed enough to get into top PC Corps.

From my own experience as CEO of Immortal Guides, I find the average development time for a student is about 2 months. Some take longer, and some develop more quickly. It usually depends on how many hours a day they play the game. Immortal Guides has had about 3 waves of graduation since it became a Basic Training Corp in October of 2013. Although we have individuals coming and going all the time, a “wave” is when a group of students start to become very effective, the Corp’s weekly KDR starts to rise above 1, and then several of the top students get accepted in a large PC Corp, or decide to form their own Corp. You can pretty much tell where Immortal Guides students are in their development cycle by watching my Corp’s weekly stats.

Having members leave is part of the expectation of a training Corp, and something to be celebrated. Although students that want to stick around for casual play, or to become mentors in their own right, are always welcome as long as they want to stay. The ones who move on to other Corps though, generally remain in the Learning Coalition chat channel, so we continue to stay in touch wherever they may go. At this point some of our early graduates can practically be considered Veteran players, and they continue to help develop our new members through Learning Coalition chat. I am always proud to see Immortal Guides alumni making an impact on New Eden.

Of course not all Immortal Guides members are students. We also have highly experienced Vets join Immortal Guides every once in a while, and it is always nice to have some instructors on staff to provide their advice in Corp chat and on the Corp forum. But they are the minority. Most of my students instruction come from members of other Corps who squad with them or answer their questions in Learning Coalition chat.

I imagine the other Learning Coalition training Corps are much the same in these regards, although with some of them specializing more, there may be some differences.

Squadding with a student in Learning Coalition chat has benefits on both sides. On the one hand as an experienced player you are able to give them advice which will help them develop into a skilled mercenary. On the other hand you are getting a feel for what kind of person they are, whether they are fun to play with, whether they seem to understand their role, whether they can shoot straight, whether they are a team player, etc. If they are good and you like them, then tell them that if they applied to your Corp you would happily accept them. If they are not there yet, but they are fun to play with and showing promise, suggest to them that once they get some more practice and start doing better that they should consider sending in an application. A friendly suggestion like that can stick with a person, and when they do get good, they my choose your Corp over other prospects due to those early words of encouragement.

I do ask that if you are squadding with new players for Learning Coalition chat they you hold up your end of the bargain and try to advise the player and help them develop. Tell them if they are doing something wrong, but be understanding and encouraging. When they get good, they will remember those people who helped them along the way.

Advertising for Services:

While I do not allow Corp ads to be posted in Learning Coalition chat, I will allow advertisements for useful services to be posted, no more than once per hour.

Useful services include such things as training groups (not Corps), trade channels, Faction Warfare channels, reputable third party brokers, EVE/DUST ISK exchange, etc.

Immortal Guides
#6 Posted: 2014.06.09 16:49  |  Edited by: Fox Gaden
Is there nobody in the channel? / Is the channel empty?

Recently, Learning Coalition had 50+ members in the channel. Any channel that hits this limit switches the channel to a mode called "Delayed Mode". This means that people will only show up if they have typed something in the chat. So be sure to speak up and say hi!

Immortal Guides
#7 Posted: 2014.06.09 17:00
Dam, it took some digging to find some of those old links!

Can't Corner The Dorner
#8 Posted: 2014.06.09 20:32
Mmm, that new thread smell.

Caldari Girls Do It Better.

Keikaku

I am everyones Alt.

Corrosive Synergy
RUST415
#9 Posted: 2014.06.12 01:11
So let it be known. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I wish I could me on more, but those oil wars won't fight themselves...:/
Sigh...I wanna go home and troll with a shotgun. Are cal scouts still Op?

Charlotte O'Dell is the highest level unicorn!

Praetoriani Classiarii Templares
#10 Posted: 2014.06.12 01:56
Charlotte O'Dell wrote:
So let it be known. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I wish I could me on more, but those oil wars won't fight themselves...:/
Sigh...I wanna go home and troll with a shotgun. Are cal scouts still Op?

I love trolling Scouts with my Shotgun... On my COMMANDO!!!

The other day I was put in a match of 6 vs 11, so I was just wondering around. An LAV sees me, I start shooting the Driver with my ScR, he then proceeds to run over me. I jump out of the way into the corner. He comes out, he was a Proto Min Scout with Ishk. Nova Nives(he killed me before, I think he was Parkour Practitioner?), runs up to me and... BOOM. Don't get to close to my Amarr Commando, he carries his Personal Cannon.

AmarrFTW

"The Hero got his feelings hurt for 9 hp... "

Not For Sale- Sanders 2016

Fraternity of St. Venefice
Amarr Empire
#11 Posted: 2014.06.17 01:47
I like the learning coalition its a nice channel with lots of nice people. I got a lot of tips from people in the channel.Big smile

Give me da iskiez

Gk0 Scout yay :)

Storm Wind Strikeforce
Caldari State
#12 Posted: 2014.06.22 16:16  |  Edited by: Boosted Beats
Sorry for the super noob question but how exactly do I join the chat? ^^' I'm actually really interested in joining since I suck and need all the help I can get lol

Edit:Nevermind found it lol
Immortal Guides
#13 Posted: 2014.06.23 01:52
Well, for anyone else who has not found it yet, if you scroll to the bottom of your chat list there is a "+" sign. Click it and it will prompt you to type in a channel name.

Can't Corner The Dorner
#14 Posted: 2014.06.23 02:12
Hi there, I'm Jillic and I teach the broken tactics course.

Don't listen to me, ever.

Keikaku

I am everyones Alt.

Storm Wind Strikeforce
Caldari State
#15 Posted: 2014.06.23 19:43
Jillic wrote:

Lol I caught that bottom part. Any specifics on that course? The name kinda has me interested
Can't Corner The Dorner
#16 Posted: 2014.06.24 01:52
Boosted Beats wrote:
Jillic wrote:

Lol I caught that bottom part. Any specifics on that course? The name kinda has me interested

Oh, just the proper placement and usage of equipment spam, dropship ramming, Jihad Jeeps, you know, the things that make people rage.

Keikaku

I am everyones Alt.

Storm Wind Strikeforce
Caldari State
#17 Posted: 2014.06.24 03:16
Jillic wrote:
Boosted Beats wrote:
Jillic wrote:

Oh, just the proper placement and usage of equipment spam, dropship ramming, Jihad Jeeps, you know, the things that make people rage.

Ohhhh me likely the sound of that >:3
Nos Nothi
#18 Posted: 2014.06.25 15:28
Boosted Beats wrote:
Jillic wrote:
Boosted Beats wrote:
Jillic wrote:

Hi I'm the counter to Jillic, I spam proto suits everywhere and calls squeakers to my side to annoy Jillic

Closed Beta Veteran

Sadistic Asshat

Professional Tear Miner

Corrosive Synergy
RUST415
#19 Posted: 2014.06.25 19:05
And I like ponies a lot.

Charlotte O'Dell is the highest level unicorn!

Can't Corner The Dorner
#20 Posted: 2014.06.25 20:19
Ironyimation Inception wrote:
Boosted Beats wrote:
Jillic wrote:
Boosted Beats wrote:
Jillic wrote:

Hi I'm the counter to Jillic, I spam proto suits everywhere and calls squeakers to my side to annoy Jillic

Anti-Squeeker RAEG MASHEEN ONLINE!!!
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAET!

Keikaku

I am everyones Alt.

7 Pages123Next pageLast page