19 Pages123Next pageLast page

www.protofits.com - a fitting tool project

Jump to first DEV post
Author
WarRavens
Imperium Eden
#1 Posted: 2013.12.29 19:19  |  Edited by: CCP Frame
Hello fellow Dust players, a fan of the game here o7

I'm finding myself enjoying the game quite a lot despite some of the flaws we all know it has, I'm still confident that Dust 514 is growing into a more robust offering little by little. So with that in mind, I started building a fitting tool on my spare time (usually after I cap out Lol) to help with the fitting planning and such, it still has a good ways to go and I'm yet to implement a lot of things I have on mind, but I figured I'd let you guys know about it anyway and maybe get some early feedback before I drop more features, also we all know that one can always do a patch later to fix things Pirate

I'd like to point out that I started this before CCP released the SDE files, so I had mixed feelings knowing such files existed What?, still I'm making a partial implementation of the information contained there, partly because I had already designed the groundwork for working with manual input and more importantly because some of the information there just doesn't make sense to me or is incomplete/incorrect (I hope I can get some guidance from by a blue tag later on, it would be much appreciated Blink)

The site is not finished so be kind - expect some debugging and errors somewhere, this is a spare time endeavor and I have yet to do a lot of polish, basically any suggestion, bug reporting or positive feedback is welcomed.

Regards.

www.protofits.com

www.protofits.com - a Dust 514 fitting tool

WarRavens
Imperium Eden
#2 Posted: 2013.12.29 19:22  |  Edited by: Cyrus Grevare
[USAGE]

The tool is intended to be intuitive and free form so there's little restrictions on what to select or when, that is for example, you can select skills before or after building a fitting, but a starting guideline would be the following:

1. Set up your skills, once you modify a skill fitting screen should update to take into account any passive bonuses.
  2. Click the bluish-green slot atop the fit preview (large circle) to select your Dropsuit or Vehicle fitting from the dialog window, red items are ones you aren't skilled in, you can select red items anyway, it's just a notification. Once selected, item slots will be enabled according to the particular fit selected.
  3. Click on any slot to bring up a dialog window showing items applicable to the selected slot, as of now items a grouped by grade and ordered alphabetically. Clicking on an item will preselect it and show details of it in the preview pane on the dialog window. If any passive bonuses apply to an item attribute they will be shown between brackets and colored green (hover to see details), click on the Select button when finished to apply the selected item to the slot.
  4. Repeat for each applicable slot, if you can do it on dust you should be fine here Blink

[PRO TIPS]

• Hovering over a slot will give details on the particular item plus any passive bonuses that apply to it from skills.
  • Hovering over the fitting preview (big circle) will show the overall summary of the fit, that is, results of module modifiers and final weapon stats.
  • To restart the whole fit click on the red 'Reset' text on the top right corner of the screen.
  • Right click on a slot to remove the item (Main fitting can't be removed this way, use reset instead or you know, just pick another one :p)
  • Both the fitting and character list panels have a 'Detailed View' which have additional functions (sparse at the moment) from here you can for example: delete characters/fittings or even share fittings with whomever you want.

[SDE ISSUES]

The SDE comes unfortunately with what I can only assume are errors or missing information which should be corrected on further updates, I'll list some of those I've found.

• @Hardcoded values for some item attributes such as RE damage, Sprint duration or Weapon Accuracy Rating, which means I can't pull them from the DB.
  • Cardiac Regulators don't come with the bonus to stamina recovery
  • Reactive and Ferroscale plates all posses meta level 1, though this is also in game...
  • Missing direct hit damage and splash damage for Flaylock Pistols and Swarm Launchers (maybe that's why they don't work in game Pirate), Mass Drivers, Forge Guns and Plasma Cannons have the same problem.
  • Missig attribute 'overHeatingInfo.cooldownTime' for laser weapons.
  • Missing Passenger information for vehicles.
  • Missing Tier information for some vehicles, and items.

[ON THE PIPELINE]

• Done - User registry to save fits and characters.
  • Done - CPU / PG excess notification.
  • Done - Side by Side comparison of items.
  • Done - User Dashboard, in the form of character and fit panels.
  • Done - Import / Export.
  • Done - Fitting comparison view
  • Done - RAW SDE dump for items
  • Done - Shield / Armor damage profiles for weapony
  • Cascading skills and prerequisite enforcement
  • Fitting commenting and/or tagging
  • App

[BUGS]

• Secured some aspects of directory navigation as mentioned by Mithridates VI.
  • Fixed issue of setting items in wrong slots when not selecting from the list dialog as mentioned by Heinz and Scout Registry.
  • Fixed gauges by changing buggy plugging as pointed out by Snail Super and Heavenly Daughter.
  • Manually corrected militia items.
  • Fixed minor CSS compatibility issues.
  • Fixed item preview bug in IE.
  • Renaming bug, brackets
  • Shield / Armor proficiency for commando suits

Factory Fresh
#3 Posted: 2013.12.30 23:19
I just discovered this forum down here so wondering if that's why no replies yet.

I gotta say I like the layout of your site, it is muuuuch better than all the spreadsheet based fitting tools. I dont know if there are more fitting tools out there like this one but I would love to see a completed browser based tool.

Easy to navigate skills, love that. The drop down menus had me concerned at first since the number didnt show up until I moused over it, assumed it was just an early stage thing.

I like the gear and dropsuit listings, sticking with the red/white text makes the longer lists very easy to go through.

I would say you're on to something for sure, as long as Dust survives this should be the go-to tool once complete. Im no web designed or anything but seems like it just needs the rest of the content to be a really effective, easy to use tool.

Nice job +1
Doomheim
#4 Posted: 2013.12.30 23:54
This looks nice. Good work!

Please refrain from utilizing such inflammatory sarcasm in the future. — CCP Eterne

Doomheim
#5 Posted: 2013.12.30 23:56
Might want to take a look at the settings for your webserver, though.

Probably best to disable directory navigation unless you have a use for it: http://www.protofits.com/public/images/

Google has indexed a whole bunch of stuff like: http://www.protofits.com/fittings/fits/0/0 and http://www.protofits.com/fittings/slot/0/

Please refrain from utilizing such inflammatory sarcasm in the future. — CCP Eterne

Ostrakon Agency
Gallente Federation
#6 Posted: 2013.12.31 00:10
I held off on giving feedback because I thought you were gonna make more [reserved] posts, but seeing how someone has already commented. I'll give my user experience so far.

What I like so far is that your tool doesn't require me to jump from one page into another. Everything I need is on just this one page. If I wanted to adjust my skills accordingly, it's right there. If I want to see the stats of a certain equipment/dropsuit/weapon, It's right there. You're the first site to do that among the ones that I've tested out.

Yes, you're right. There is a lot of missing content, but the few equipments/dropsuits/weaponry shows how it will look like when the tool is up to date.

Things that could be improved: There needs to be a visual indicator, possibly a color change, when I use more CPU/PG then a dropsuit can provide. For the skills tree, it would be nice if we saw what level is needed in order to continue to progress deeper into the skill tree. Right now, for example, I can set the Assault Rifle Proficiency to 5, but the prerequisites to level up the proficiency would still be zero. If possible, the prerequisites could be filled in for us when done so.

I'll just leave it at that for now. I'm sure you have a lot on your plate with the release of the SDE. More feedback later. :D

Soon™

Onikanabo Brigade
Caldari State
#7 Posted: 2014.01.01 00:46
Really nice tool, thanks! Smile
ALTA B2O
#8 Posted: 2014.01.01 17:24  |  Edited by: G Torq
Really nice - Also, "yay - competition" ;)

Can I suggest import/export features? I've added export into a variation of the EVE CFL (Common Loadout Format), as well as an internal format. Will look at importing later (got more important/interesting things to do first)...

Dust.Thang.DK's exporter wrote:
{

"clf-version": 0,
"X-clf-type": "DUST",
"X-generatedby": "DUST.Thang.Dk",
"X-dust_thang_dk-ID": 31,
"metadata": {
"title": "Methana",
"description": "Methana"
},
"ship": {
"typeid": 351253,
"typename": null
},
"presets": [
{
"presetname": "Methana",
"modules": [
{
"typeid": 353774,
"slottype": "lturret",
"index": 0
},
{
"typeid": 352550,
"slottype": "vhigh",
},
{
"typeid": 352034,
"slottype": "vhigh",
"index": 1
},
{
"typeid": 352069,
"slottype": "vlow",
},
{
"typeid": 365777,
"index": 1
},
{
"typeid": 353983,
"index": 2
}
]
}
]

}

Team Fairy DUST

HTTP://Dust.Thang.DK/ - DUST514 Fitting Tool based on DUST SDE

WarRavens
Imperium Eden
#9 Posted: 2014.01.02 08:34
Thanks for the feedback, I'll add this to my notes ^^

G Torq, I thought nobody had made one :D I searched for one before I started building the site - this was pre SDE arrival I must add, since I didn't find one even for EVE! I figured it'd be a while before any would be willing to make one, looks like we came up with the same idea at roughly the same time :p

Your site rocks I must say, I still have a lot to do to make this anything like a competition :D

o/

C C P
C C P Alliance
#10 Posted: 2014.01.02 10:57
Awesome stuff! Thank you for your hard work! :D

CCP FoxFour // Technical Designer

http://twitter.com/regnerba

ALTA B2O
#11 Posted: 2014.01.02 12:13
Cyrus Grevare wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, I'll add this to my notes ^^

G Torq, I thought nobody had made one :D I searched for one before I started building the site - this was pre SDE arrival I must add, since I didn't find one even for EVE! I figured it'd be a while before any would be willing to make one, looks like we came up with the same idea at roughly the same time :p

Your site rocks I must say, I still have a lot to do to make this anything like a competition :D

o/

Yeah, I started mine early November, but only sharing it via IRC. When Saberwing let slip that the SDE was inbound, I closed shop again, waiting for it to arrive :)

3 hours after the SDE landed, I had the first bit integrated (far from anywhere meanfull, but hey!), and some time later posted an announcement to My Dust and General Discussion - the latter was instantly buried :p

Depending on how far along you are with the SDE, I can recommend this thread.
Also, I suggest you join us on #Dust-Dev, and in http://NewEden-Dev.com/ - more information here and especially here!

Team Fairy DUST

HTTP://Dust.Thang.DK/ - DUST514 Fitting Tool based on DUST SDE

HavoK Core
#12 Posted: 2014.01.02 12:23
Cyrus Grevare wrote:
Hello fellow Dust players, a fan of the game here o7

I'm finding myself enjoying the game quite a lot despite some of the flaws we all know it has, I'm still confident that Dust 514 is growing into a more robust offering little by little. So with that in mind, I started building a fitting tool on my spare time (usually after I cap out Lol) to help with the fitting planning and such, it still has a good ways to go and I'm yet to implement a lot of things I have on mind, but I figured I'd let you guys know about it anyway and maybe get some early feedback before I drop more features, also we all know that one can always do a patch later to fix things Pirate

I'd like to point out that I started this before CCP released the SDE files, so I had mixed feelings knowing such files existed What?, still I'm making a partial implementation of the information contained there, partly because I had already designed the groundwork for working with manual input and more importantly because some of the information there just doesn't make sense to me or is incomplete/incorrect (I hope I can get some guidance from by a blue tag later on, it would be much appreciated Blink)

There's still a lot of content to be loaded, I'm on that, also the site is not finished so be kind - expect some debugging and errors somewhere, this is a spare time endeavor and I have yet to do a lot of polish, basically any suggestion, bug reporting or positive feedback is welcomed.

Regards.

www.protofits.com

you should definitely join Team Fairy Dust so your never left out on information you need to build your tools, find us on irc (coldfront.net) channel: #dust-dev
you can talk to FoxFour in there regarding any of the export problems.

good job so far, it shows what the community can do when CCP enables us. Add a save and share feature and you got a big winner. If you have questions, email brush@havokcore.com

Dust Veteran. June 2012 - ?

True Logi. Flying DS from the start.

@dustreports

BetaMax.
#13 Posted: 2014.01.02 13:29
Not a bad site. I do have one recommendation limit avalible mods to those that can be fitted to that slot, I put a suit into the low slot of a suit, it was interesting

Dust514 Stats, Have you updated today?

I do maths, and sit in a corner.

Enlightened Infantries
Special Planetary Emergency Response Group
#14 Posted: 2014.01.02 14:57
I like the visual layout, well done.

At a quick glance, you are missing ferroscale and reactive armor, as well as some biotics mods.
Nos Nothi
#15 Posted: 2014.01.02 15:19  |  Edited by: Scout Registry
Excellent job! +1 and spreading the word.
Couldn't help myself ... had to click around and explore a 'bit :-)

Made a few observations and discovered potential math error while testing against known Scout gk.0 values.

Max dampening values and max scan range values (using four cmp LPM) returned expected values. There appears to be an issue with max speed. With passive bonuses alone, your tool is returning 9.21 m/s (way too high). For what it's worth, my max speed value for the gk.0 is 11.11 (max skilltree, 4 cmp kincats).

Absolutely loved the intuitive interface. Everything came naturally. Except for my being unable to quickly "clear slot" ... didn't look around very long, but it wasn't particularly obvious (IMHO).

Edit: Found another bug. I was able to fill ILW and ISW slots w/Core Locus Nades. First, selected Core Locus for SCG slot. Next, clicked ISW slot; kept everything unselected; clicked commit button (select). Confirmed bug; same steps reproduced outcome with the ILW slot.
Mikramurka Shock Troop
Minmatar Republic
#16 Posted: 2014.01.02 16:53
Great stuff Cyrus! Much appreciated =)

Spending merc fortune like water keeping these clone tumors under control....

Pro Hic Immortalis
#17 Posted: 2014.01.03 04:12
My only suggestion would be to organize items into folders. Streamline it so for example when you open dropsuits it opens up the racial suits as well. Structure it like how it is in game to give it continuity.

Awesome job, look forward to updates.
Ikomari-Onu Enforcement
Caldari State
#18 Posted: 2014.01.03 08:40
Great tool. Interface is very nice too.
Dem Durrty Boyz
#19 Posted: 2014.01.06 17:53  |  Edited by: Turkevich
Nice tool. Here is my feedback.

1) Skill tree needs to populate prerequisites automatically
2) My Syndicate SMG isn't a militia item. It's equivalent to standard SMG so it should be in the "basic" category. Perhaps it was wrong in the SDE?
3) Need a way to save loadouts and share them with others.
WarRavens
Imperium Eden
#20 Posted: 2014.01.10 22:57  |  Edited by: Cyrus Grevare
Populated and Sync'd all items from the SDE to site (might be missing a few) and fixed some bugs mentioned, some issues still remain as well as desperately needed features, working on it Blink

All is going well,
Thanks for your feedback.

I'll be sure to drop by http://NewEden-Dev.com/ and the IRC channel, any help is greatly appreciated.

19 Pages123Next pageLast page