^ Back to top
2,650 PagesFirst pagePrevious page2647264826492650Next page

The Barbershop

Jump to first DEV post
Author
Nos Nothi
#52961 Posted: 2017.06.06 21:16
I don't know how to feel about that.

I would personally prefer the default knives to be of a blander variety, with Nova Knives being a more specialized weapon.

My knives, to me, were a primary weapon. They certainly had the Alpha damage for it. It was a niche unto itself. I would hate for it to become a commodity.

Former CEO of the Land of the BIind.

Any double entendre is unintended I assure you.

Bacon with a bottle of Quafe
#52962 Posted: 2017.06.07 09:45
Coming from Dust, I can understand why this seems like a weird thing, but it might be cool once we actually try it out. Hell, the knives in Dust were extremely situational and the user would find him/herself using their other weapon most of the time.

I just hope knife-play will be live Dust's. I also hope they increase the FoV, or at least give us the option to do so.

Scouts United

Gk.0s & Quafes all day.

Nos Nothi
#52963 Posted: 2017.06.07 20:57  |  Edited by: One Eyed King
Joel II X wrote:
Hell, the knives in Dust were extremely situational and the user would find him/herself using their other weapon most of the time.

Unless you were a dedicated knifer.

The whole fun in knifing was that it was a niche role, and that not all situations were knifing situations. What made it fun, was find a way to MAKE them knifing situations. It was a difficult, and challenging role.

Find yourself being chased by someone shooting at you, with more HP? Round a corner, and see if they were stupid enough to follow.

Someone have you dead to rights outside your range? Run and hide, and wait for them to leave. Or break line of site, and see if you can find a way to flank them, and get close.

Sure, lots of people used knives as secondary alternatives, and I hope that perhaps the default set of knives will suit them just fine. But those of us who were knifers before 1.8, when we put up with the bad HD (knifing people who were standing still, and doing no damage...) yet really loved what we did, it would be a shame to reduce the role to meaninglessness.

I don't think that all suits having knives is necessarily bad, I just hope that they do it in the right way so that those of us who are dedicated can still find our place.

Nos Nothi
#52964 Posted: 2017.06.07 23:22
Joel II X wrote:

I just hope knife-play will be like Dust's.

^ This, exactly. Dust's knife-play was nigh perfect.

o7

Nos Nothi
#52965 Posted: 2017.06.07 23:47  |  Edited by: Shotty GoBang
One Eyed King wrote:

I would personally prefer the default knives to be of a blander variety, with Nova Knives being a more specialized weapon.

Personal thoughts:

1) How awesome would it be if we had new types of knives? I think it safe to assume that we can look forward to exactly that. Why waste time designing a "melee slot" if the only usable item is a single set of knives?

2) http://imgur.com/IeaUIzUTwisted

3) Getting knife kills was pretty tough, and knifing in any suit other than a scout suit only made it tougher. Think EWAR. Think comparative mobility. Think back to the dreaded, full-speed backpedal :-) I remember one of you goofballs running around trying to shank mercs in a Min Heavy; it was hilarious to watch. Point being, I don't think a proper Bastard need worry about other roles displacing lightweights as the ultimate sneaky backstabbers. And if the new setting is ship corridors (vs the great outdoors), there will assuredly be plenty of room for shenanigans.

4) To add to 3, knifing was an absolute blast in DUST. I actually like the idea of other classes getting a chance to get in on the fun. More duels!

o7

Nos Nothi
#52966 Posted: 2017.06.08 00:40  |  Edited by: One Eyed King
Shotty GoBang wrote:
One Eyed King wrote:

Personal thoughts:

1) How awesome would it be if we had new types of knives? I think it safe to assume that we can look forward to exactly that. Why waste time designing a "melee slot" if the only usable item is a single set of knives?

2) http://imgur.com/IeaUIzUTwisted

3) Getting knife kills was pretty tough, and knifing in any suit other than a scout suit only made it tougher. Think EWAR. Think comparative mobility. Think back to the dreaded, full-speed backpedal :-) I remember one of you goofballs running around trying to shank mercs in a Min Heavy; it was hilarious to watch. Point being, I don't think a proper Bastard need worry about other roles displacing lightweights as the ultimate sneaky backstabbers. And if the new setting is ship corridors (vs the great outdoors), there will assuredly be plenty of room for shenanigans.

4) To add to 3, knifing was an absolute blast in DUST. I actually like the idea of other classes getting a chance to get in on the fun. More duels!

It is not that I am concerned about other roles being able to knife per se. I think I did wear it on other suits just for fun, and it was Musturd who went around in a Min Sent knifing people. It was indeed hilarious.

What I want is that dedicated knifing, or melee should be rewarded. Rather than everyone having a set of Ishnooks, being an afterthought, or that because everyone has knives they would be nerfed to pointlessness. I tried knifing in Planetside 2, and the knives were so weak that it was pointless to even bother.

I think with regards to everyone having a melee slot, I think that there should be more than just knives. Think sledgehammers and chainsaws. It would be cool if there were multiple avenues of melee fighting, not just knifing.

Nos Nothi
#52967 Posted: 2017.06.08 01:30  |  Edited by: Shotty GoBang
One Eyed King wrote:
chainsaws

... for space trees?

Ahhh, now I get it

o7

#52968 Posted: 2017.06.08 01:51
One Eyed King wrote:
Joel II X wrote:
Hell, the knives in Dust were extremely situational and the user would find him/herself using their other weapon most of the time.

Unless you were a dedicated knifer.

The whole fun in knifing was that it was a niche role, and that not all situations were knifing situations. What made it fun, was find a way to MAKE them knifing situations. It was a difficult, and challenging role.

Find yourself being chased by someone shooting at you, with more HP? Round a corner, and see if they were stupid enough to follow.

Someone have you dead to rights outside your range? Run and hide, and wait for them to leave. Or break line of site, and see if you can find a way to flank them, and get close.

Sure, lots of people used knives as secondary alternatives, and I hope that perhaps the default set of knives will suit them just fine. But those of us who were knifers before 1.8, when we put up with the bad HD (knifing people who were standing still, and doing no damage...) yet really loved what we did, it would be a shame to reduce the role to meaninglessness.

I don't think that all suits having knives is necessarily bad, I just hope that they do it in the right way so that those of us who are dedicated can still find our place.

I think you missed the point I was trying to get at.

For a weapon that only worked in extreme situations, a user would typically have their other weapon out just in case, whether they use it or not. The knives, being so situational, were they really worth using an entire sidearm slot for?

I'm not talking about the extreme masochists like the people in this channel, I'm talking about the Dust population in general.

Scouts United

Gk.0s & Quafes all day.

#52969 Posted: 2017.06.15 04:49
Joel II X wrote:
extreme masochists

You rang?

The Community; One big family, sometimes dysfunctional.

Eternal Beings
#52970 Posted: 2017.06.16 03:53
I got my first knife killstreak in PS2. Not as good as Dust of course, but I'm giddy. In two hits it's a guaranteed kill most times and even though they are significantly less prominent there, people cry more about them then I've personally seen. And it. Is. GLORIOUS.

PSN SilentChaozz

Autistic with extreme chronic pain. Hey, it's a rare one!

RIP DUST 514
#52971 Posted: 2017.06.17 22:40
Joel II X wrote:

For a weapon that only worked in extreme situations, a user would typically have their other weapon out just in case, whether they use it or not. The knives, being so situational, were they really worth using an entire sidearm slot for?

I'm not talking about the extreme masochists like the people in this channel, I'm talking about the Dust population in general.

For the general DUST population, I don't think they were. You would have to change your entire playstyle to accommodate the knives and have a use for them. An SMG or something else would be more effective most of the time.

Tomoko is mai waifu

Nos Nothi
#52972 Posted: 2017.06.17 22:56
Dreis ShadowWeaver wrote:
Joel II X wrote:

For the general DUST population, I don't think they were. You would have to change your entire playstyle to accommodate the knives and have a use for them. An SMG or something else would be more effective most of the time.

^

And the ButtPirates
#52973 Posted: 2017.06.18 05:58
Different knifes seems like it would end up, one 1hitting and the other not. I no like.

ihazPC

#52974 Posted: 2017.06.18 16:01  |  Edited by: Joel II X
J0LLY R0G3R wrote:
Different knifes seems like it would end up, one 1hitting and the other not. I no like.

It could work depending on the mechanics. In order for Caldari Knives to OHK tanked opponents, they had to be charged. The Amarr could have a bowie knife with slow swing speeds, but very high alpha, and the Gallente knife be very quick, but weaker slashes, etc.

Rather than have them all be knives, I hope they do general melee weapons, that way the Amarr can have a greatsword from the crusades haha that would enable easier balancing ala Dark Souls.

EDIT: I want a chainsaw sword for the Minmatar, or I'll riot.

Scouts United

Gk.0s & Quafes all day.

Eternal Beings
#52975 Posted: 2017.06.18 19:32
Joel II X wrote:
J0LLY R0G3R wrote:

It could work depending on the mechanics. In order for Caldari Knives to OHK tanked opponents, they had to be charged. The Amarr could have a bowie knife with slow swing speeds, but very high alpha, and the Gallente knife be very quick, but weaker slashes, etc.

Rather than have them all be knives, I hope they do general melee weapons, that way the Amarr can have a greatsword from the crusades haha that would enable easier balancing ala Dark Souls.

What's a riot with one person called?

Disgruntled?
Suicide?
Aggravated?

In ps2 they have the Ripper for TR. It's a OHK muthufukin chainsaw. When you activate it it's a loud chainsaw noise that's badass.

PSN SilentChaozz

Autistic with extreme chronic pain. Hey, it's a rare one!

Nos Nothi
#52976 Posted: 2017.06.18 19:52
J0LLY R0G3R wrote:

You mean that everyone should have Dust version NKs? I like knifing, but I think it would suck if Nova made every merc part knifer. Remember that in Nova, for now, it sounds like everyone is going to have a melee slot. Knives may be a default weapon from the sound of it.

Nova sounds like it wants to reward players who use items, and I think an OHK Knife should be something earned and not freely given.

#52977 Posted: 2017.06.19 17:11
PARKOUR PRACTIONER wrote:
Joel II X wrote:
J0LLY R0G3R wrote:

What's a riot with one person called?

Disgruntled?
Suicide?
Aggravated?

In ps2 they have the Ripper for TR. It's a OHK muthufukin chainsaw. When you activate it it's a loud chainsaw noise that's badass.

Tactical rioting.

Scouts United

Gk.0s & Quafes all day.

And the ButtPirates
#52978 Posted: 2017.06.20 01:41
Just thinking the knifes are going to just be the same just re-skinned for the different factions. You can give every person a knife doesn't mean they'll be able to use the thing besides a panic knife.

However wouldn't mind if they were in fact all 2 stage knifes like on Planetside2.

1st stage for panic knifes or to finish someone ( the oh no oh no oh no unload all the weapons then swing cuz we both failed, unprepared kinda knife kill)
2nd stage for the prepared, planned out knife ( the i'm going to flank these people and tap on their shoulder to let them know the back door is open kinda knife)
1st stage being weaker then the "charged up" 2nd stage 1 hit kill stage.

Anywho XD

ihazPC

Nos Nothi
#52979 Posted: 2017.06.20 18:06
I am hoping for more of a 2 stage approach.

#52980 Posted: 2017.06.21 07:55
I mean.. not like anyone gives a ****, but we already had this debate like ten ******* times.

Knifers should, in the very least, be able to be knifers.

Stop trying to make it a ******* dumbed down broknifermance party.

Pirate

<=/=]Pirate[=\=>
2,650 PagesFirst pagePrevious page2647264826492650Next page