General Discussions

^ Back to top
2 Pages12Next page

How Are Those Vehicles Coming Along?

Author
Solo Zen
#1 Posted: 2017.05.18 02:45
One of the most immersive aspects of Dust was piloting vehicles. It was a change of pace from foot soldiering and it added context. The various flavors of dropships, tanks, HAVs and jeeps were a novelty.

If I imagine Dust without vehicles, then I sense that a great deal of depth would have been lost to a drab motionless wasteland.

I hope that Nova will be equipped with vehicles on its inaugural day. Without vehicles, the game will be a step back into a flatter dimension; a world without perspective, dreams, or redemption.

There was nothing like being pinned down, and then a buddy's dropship comes swooping in for the rescue, or getting stuck out in the open and behold a random blueberry tank rolls in between you and the enemy to provide cover.

Vehicles are more than something to drive around or something different to do. They're a different form of immersive interaction with other players, opening the door to new possibilities and stimulating complexities. They are an essential element to the emotional entanglement of war. Without them, the battlefield can be a rather dull experience.
#2 Posted: 2017.05.18 02:46
My doctor says I can't engage in these discussions.

Something about veins in my forehead exploding or something, I don't know.

Rage flavored bitter berry

#BUS514

Dust Was Shite
#3 Posted: 2017.05.18 02:49
100% agree despite only using militia soma's when they were OP Lol

I bought a setup a month ago to start practicing with mouse and keyboard but if they announce this games more like COD than BF then I won't even bother playing it and will stick to console.

My signature

#4 Posted: 2017.05.18 03:01
The head developer already said months ago that they were focusing on bringing the Dust experience to a wider audience by implementing ideas from mainstream shooters. He also said he wanted to scale down combat.

Put your flags up in the sky. And wave them side to side. Show the world where you're from. Show the world we are one.

Solo Zen
#5 Posted: 2017.05.18 03:10
DeadlyAztec11 wrote:
The head developer already said months ago that they were focusing on bringing the Dust experience to a wider audience by implementing ideas from mainstream shooters. He also said he wanted to scale down combat.

Should I interpret that to mean that CCP captured a certain niche with Dust 514, but now they are abandoning those unique elements that made the game special in their next iteration of the EVE FPS franchise, so that they can attempt to fit in with the big boys? Does this imply no vehicles?
Obscure Reference
#6 Posted: 2017.05.18 16:22
Rattati wasn't a fan of vehicles to begin with, then he had to deal with Spkr now we can't have nice things (No vehicles 'confirmed' in Nova)
Solo Zen
#7 Posted: 2017.05.18 17:36
Juno Tristan wrote:
Rattati wasn't a fan of vehicles to begin with, then he had to deal with Spkr now we can't have nice things (No vehicles 'confirmed' in Nova)

Well, that seals it for me. Good bye, my fellow mercenaries. I will see you in another field of battle.

To Rattati: May baby dribbles find their way into your food, and may animals chew on your shoe laces.

... Can't even swim and thinks he can design a video game. Oh brother.
OSG Planetary Operations
#8 Posted: 2017.05.18 18:03
"Dropsuits are vehicles with legs. Period." - Sean Spicer
#9 Posted: 2017.05.18 18:40  |  Edited by: Moorian Flav
Pokey Dravon wrote:
"Dropsuits are vehicles with legs. Period." - Sean Spicer

Nice PR skills. Nicely done.
Thinking about dropsuits, CCP has often hinted at cybernetics beyond mere brain implants in EVE by showing cosmetics such as cybernetic arms. Therefore, in EVE's universe, all a merc really needs is a head to operate their dropsuit (like Futurama Pirate). Without a human body to limit dropsuit design, dropsuits would really be mechs with limitless design freedom and destructive potential. Twisted
But that would just be crazy, right? Better to just stick with the basics. CCP wants Nova to be more mainstream after all. Blink

I don't troll; I tell the truth.

I'm also known as "The ANTI-Propaganda Machine".

LulKlz
#10 Posted: 2017.05.18 19:05
I want vehicles so I can SL them to oblivion

Your friendly Pub match logi

#11 Posted: 2017.05.18 20:44
LOL KILLZ wrote:
I want vehicles so I can SL them to oblivion

I'm waiting to find a game that gives me that feeling I'd get fighting forge gunners with my Incubus.

Glorious.

Rage flavored bitter berry

#BUS514

#12 Posted: 2017.05.18 21:04
Clone D wrote:
Juno Tristan wrote:

Well, that seals it for me. Good bye, my fellow mercenaries. I will see you in another field of battle.

To Rattati: May baby dribbles find their way into your food, and may animals chew on your shoe laces.

... Can't even swim and thinks he can design a video game. Oh brother.

Rofl, I forgot about Spkr. That child had issues.

You give up our position one more time, I'll bleed you, real quiet, and leave you here. Got that?

#13 Posted: 2017.05.18 21:59
Clone D wrote:
DeadlyAztec11 wrote:

Should I interpret that to mean that CCP captured a certain niche with Dust 514, but now they are abandoning those unique elements that made the game special in their next iteration of the EVE FPS franchise, so that they can attempt to fit in with the big boys? Does this imply no vehicles?

Vehicles is a hazy topic of discussion, but CCP really wants to net a profit and simply rebuilding Dust seems like a not so safe bet to them. So they want what's good about Dust plus whatever will bring in people. The head developer is not an experimental dreamer, he had called himself a realist.

This is why Rattati also confirmed that fitting will most likely be simplified and therefore easier. This is precisely to attract more casual players who are not interested in the mechanics of fittings.

Rattati recently confirmed that making the game more user friendly does factor into its development.

Put your flags up in the sky. And wave them side to side. Show the world where you're from. Show the world we are one.

Obscure Reference
#14 Posted: 2017.05.18 22:32
DeadlyAztec11 wrote:
Clone D wrote:
DeadlyAztec11 wrote:

Vehicles is a hazy topic of discussion, but CCP really wants to net a profit and simply rebuilding Dust seems like a not so safe bet to them. So they want what's good about Dust plus whatever will bring in people. The head developer is not an experimental dreamer, he had called himself a realist.

This is why Rattati also confirmed that fitting will most likely be simplified and therefore easier. This is precisely to attract more casual players who are not interested in the mechanics of fittings.

Rattati recently confirmed that making the game more user friendly does factor into its development.

I don't think they can afford to be 'safe' with Nova, they're not EA releasing another battlefield, they've got a tightrope to walk in making it accessible but retaining the depth of gameplay (that has kept us posting on the forums of a dead game for over a year)
Solo Zen
#15 Posted: 2017.05.18 23:14
Moorian Flav wrote:
...Thinking about dropsuits, CCP has often hinted at cybernetics beyond mere brain implants in EVE by showing cosmetics such as cybernetic arms. Therefore, in EVE's universe, all a merc really needs is a head to operate their dropsuit (like Futurama Pirate). Without a human body to limit dropsuit design, dropsuits would really be mechs with limitless design freedom and destructive potential. Twisted...

YESSSS! I am in alignment. Cultivate diversity. I want limitless design freedom and destructive potential. Thank you for this.
Made in Poland...
#16 Posted: 2017.05.19 20:54
At first I was adored with tanks. I played them until the end. But it was the Incubus that made me realize : this is the best this game can offer (for me ofc) Big smile. Playing only on foot will make me miss the sky even more.

About the washed down fitting they want to make, I just hope it won't be something like : choose one of these few modules times x, done. No you can't use this, it would be too zany

Vigilant Pilot

Happy Hunting

Corrosive Synergy
#17 Posted: 2017.05.19 21:49
I'll be honest I really didn't tank, and I could get to a roof top if I needed to in a ds. But realizing a new game without them seems dull and boring. Plus I need them to shoot the forge at!!

When in doubt pull the forge out!! But we are all dead so who cares!

Grupo de Asalto Chacal
#18 Posted: 2017.05.20 01:34
I think it's rude to talk about how vehicles made everything better, and how much you enjoyed vehicles, and how lacking the new game will feel without vehicles, when they pretty much confirmed vehicles wont be in it.

Let's say you are a dev. You see this threat. How would you feel?
No matter how good the game you are making is, it wont be good enough because it doesn't have x.
I'd rather enter the forums and read threads discussing things that will be in the game.
Solo Zen
#19 Posted: 2017.05.20 02:30
DiGreatDestroyer wrote:
I think it's rude to talk about how vehicles made everything better, and how much you enjoyed vehicles, and how lacking the new game will feel without vehicles, when they pretty much confirmed vehicles wont be in it.

No matter how good the game you are making is, it wont be good enough because it doesn't have x.
I'd rather enter the forums and read threads discussing things that will be in the game.

Tough love, bro ... tough love. Sometimes people need to hear something that they don't want to. It might be difficult for me to push this info on them, knowing the fear and upset that they must feel, but ultimately getting this out in the open will help all of us in the long run.

Respect and honesty 4 real yo
Hakuna Matatah Inc
#20 Posted: 2017.05.20 02:57
DiGreatDestroyer wrote:

You think it's rude when people are talking about how much they enjoyed vehicles? Fuk you, it's called FREEDOM OF SPEECH, Google dat sh! t. Also, nobody gives a sh! t what you rather log in and read. And what threat? The only poss threat in this thread is YOU.

Only your complete and total awareness is needed, nothing else will do. ----- OSHO

2 Pages12Next page