Jump to first DEV post
Author
Bacon with a bottle of Quafe
#1 Posted: 2017.05.15 21:48
-Small maps
-plenty of walls
-seemingly no nests
-no open areas other than that one hangar bay

I'm judging this by the map on the demo and the few sketches that Logi-Cloop (lol) drew up. For a quick-paced, short-distance engagements type of game, what will this weapon type serve other than 360 MLG no scope Blazing tech?

Why use anything other than Gallente weaponry other than pride? FREEDOM!

Scouts United

Gk.0s & Quafes all day.

OSG Planetary Operations
#2 Posted: 2017.05.15 22:18
Rattati talked a bit about this recently. They're going to be more styled around like a marksman rifle....you're not going to lay prone or sit in one place for a long time. It's going to be more...move, line up the shot, fire, keep moving. More of a long range support style of weapon.

Also no quick scoping, woot.
#3 Posted: 2017.05.16 00:26
Pokey Dravon wrote:
Rattati talked a bit about this recently. They're going to be more styled around like a marksman rifle....you're not going to lay prone or sit in one place for a long time. It's going to be more...move, line up the shot, fire, keep moving. More of a long range support style of weapon.

Also no quick scoping, woot.

But you have to wait a bit (at least the Minmatar rifle) as seen on the demo, and judging from that one map, you're better off with any other weapon.

Unless there are nice vantage spots inside a huge ship, I don't see it doing well, in regards to tactical performance in comparison to other weapons.

I'll see how it goes, though. Hopefully I'll see a Gallente Sniper one day.

Scouts United

Gk.0s & Quafes all day.

Praetoriani Classiarii Templares
#4 Posted: 2017.05.16 01:23
This is what I post when the Sniper gets brought up in the Discord. Now the footage is back from the Demo, I think it is safe to assume that by release there will be more and even greater/open areas inside the ship to warrant the use of the sniper among other long ranges weapons.

AmarrFTW

"The Hero got his feelings hurt for 9 hp... "

Not For Sale- Sanders 2016

Corrosive Synergy
#5 Posted: 2017.05.16 02:15
I saw it in the trailer as actually dangerous from close it mid range due to stable scope in.
I guess it's the end of my Trolling Noobs series. Or the begging of a new masochist challenge.
Penumbra or something
#6 Posted: 2017.05.16 04:06
Pokey Dravon wrote:

But that's how it was in Dust if you wanted to be effective.

Hate to keep sounding like the one hating everything about Nova, but if they try to make it more pronounced, it essentially will be quickscoping arcade ****.
Praetoriani Classiarii Templares
#7 Posted: 2017.05.16 05:25
Scheneighnay McBob wrote:
Pokey Dravon wrote:

Hate to keep sounding like the one hating everything about Nova, but if they try to make it more pronounced, it essentially will be quickscoping arcade ****.

DUST is a terrible example of the sniper role. Glad it'll moving away from that

AmarrFTW

"The Hero got his feelings hurt for 9 hp... "

Not For Sale- Sanders 2016

Obscure Reference
#8 Posted: 2017.05.16 18:20
some of the maps will be on the exterior of the ship so will be open like Dust, so hopefully there will be good sniping maps
LulKlz
#9 Posted: 2017.05.16 19:23
It looks to be a better TSR IMO. Keep them pinned behind a corner so your buddies can go in. GG

Your friendly Pub match logi

#10 Posted: 2017.05.17 09:54
Forever ETC wrote:
Pokey Dravon wrote:

DUST is a terrible example of the sniper role. Glad it'll moving away from that

Terrible example of the role, or the effectiveness?

The role was pretty solid, especially for the early maps. Plenty of open grounds in between objectives and inside certain sockets, but not many objectives. With a good sniper, a team could have locked down an area.

However, Dust's snipers were lackluster. We didn't have variable zooms, we had bad variety of rifles, and we had to deal with ghost terrain. Because of this, the effectiveness of the role was pretty lackluster. It further decreased with the change to weapon proficiencies.

Scouts United

Gk.0s & Quafes all day.

#11 Posted: 2017.05.17 14:49  |  Edited by: Moorian Flav
I also do not see snipers being useful within ships (unless there are really long and straight corridors). Outside the ship though, they could be pretty boss if players are locked to a specific side of the ship. If all sides of the ship are open to crawl around on though, snipers would be somewhat easy to get around. Therefore, I wonder if snipers scouts may be better utilized for long range scanning or even painting targets. In EVE, there are target painters. Maybe in Nova, a sniper could paint a target from distance to give their team members damage bonuses on that target for like 10 seconds. Either that or have target painters team up with specific weapons such as an anti-personnel swarm. Lol
Seriously though, I see snipers being rarely utilized from what I heard early into Nova but I could be wrong.

I don't troll; I tell the truth.

I'm also known as "The ANTI-Propaganda Machine".

OSG Planetary Operations
#12 Posted: 2017.05.17 15:32
Pokey Dravon wrote:

Already been confirmed that it's not possible to quick scope. Even the gameplay footage shows an accuracy indicator that requires you to remain scoped in for a second or two before it's reached full accuracy.
#13 Posted: 2017.05.17 15:42
Im sure sniping on small interior maps will be exciting. It feels like either maps will be too small for anything but highly skilled players making trick shots, or theyll try to open them up a bit and screw over heavies that can no longer "catch a rriiidde!"

All just speculation still but the overall simplification of the game doesn't fill me with confidence. I dont count though, Ive gone too far to the dark side. I ate all the cookies :/
C C P
C C P Alliance
#14 Posted: 2017.05.17 16:58
DUST Fiend wrote:
Im sure sniping on small interior maps will be exciting. It feels like either maps will be too small for anything but highly skilled players making trick shots, or theyll try to open them up a bit and screw over heavies that can no longer "catch a rriiidde!"

All just speculation still but the overall simplification of the game doesn't fill me with confidence. I dont count though, Ive gone too far to the dark side. I ate all the cookies :/

that's probably why noone plays AWP in CS:GO

"As well as stupid, Rattati is incredibly slow and accident-prone, and cannot even swim"

Nos Nothi
#15 Posted: 2017.05.17 17:24
CCP Rattati wrote:
DUST Fiend wrote:

Rattati confirmed AWP god

"Spilling floor cleaner only makes the floor cleaner." - Draxus Prime

Closed Beta Vet

Scout

#16 Posted: 2017.05.17 17:31
hrmmmm.....

*grabs salty popcorn and gets comfy*

kitten bacon taco (nom)

#17 Posted: 2017.05.17 17:49  |  Edited by: DUST Fiend
CCP Rattati wrote:
DUST Fiend wrote:

Let me take this moment of lucidity to be direct with you. Ive obviously been overly critical of the whole situation and game and then there was my particular outburst at Novas announcement but I truly dont harbor any ill will towards you or anyone on the team.

My frustrations are my own and my disappointments stem from a time when all I had was hope. Please forgive my persistent skepticism and general bitter berry-ness, it never is or was directed at you or your team.

Im like a fart in a hurricane, pay me no mind.

Also isnt CS:GO a twitch shooter? A quick flip through some YouTube vids shows lots and lots of quick scoping as well.
OSG Planetary Operations
#18 Posted: 2017.05.17 18:09
He's probably speaking more to the more mobile marksman gameplay as opposed to sitting in one spot for a long period of time like a sniper.

They've been pretty clear this far that quick scoping will not be in Nova.
#19 Posted: 2017.05.17 18:12
But mobile marksmen are made possible by 1 hit kills and quick scopes. If you have to sit still for 2 seconds at the end of a hall vs someone who can aim with any other gun you'll probably be having a bad day.

Just seems counter intuitive and a general push towards more generic twitch based gameplay. Guess we'll have to see.
OSG Planetary Operations
#20 Posted: 2017.05.17 18:15  |  Edited by: Pokey Dravon
DUST Fiend wrote:
But mobile marksmen are made possible by 1 hit kills and quick scopes. If you have to sit still for 2 seconds at the end of a hall vs someone who can aim with any other gun you'll probably be having a bad day.

Just seems counter intuitive and a general push towards more generic twitch based gameplay. Guess we'll have to see.

Unless you're outside their range, which is kinda the point right?

You watched the sniper rifle gameplay video right?
3 Pages123Next page