14 Pages123Next pageLast page

heads up for some armour and movement updates

Jump to first DEV post
Author
C C P
C C P Alliance
#1 Posted: 2013.08.14 05:59  |  Edited by: CCP Logibro
Hi guys,

A quick heads up for some upcoming changes in 1.4 to armour and movement.

Currently a bug has caused some of the movement speed modifiers on strafe to be ignored. This is good and bad. It’s good because faster strafe speeds are cool. It’s bad because right now strafe speed is at least 1:1 with run speed and this was not our intention. In keeping with normal physical limitations strafe was intended to be slower than run. We had planned to raise the strafe speed from the 1.1 build to around 80% of run speed (it was lurking around 60-70% or so depending on frame). After seeing how popular (and fun) the higher strafe speeds have been we changed our minds. We still wanted to maintain a difference between forward and sideways movement but we didn’t want to make a significant reduction to the speeds. So we’ve settled on strafe speed as 90% of run speed across all suits.

Before anyone freaks out, this does not mean it is set in stone forevermore. It just means that we want to play the game with the settings we actually intended so we can properly judge them. There are a lot of updates to the game in 1.4 so we’ll be watching very closely to see what we need to respond to :-)

A nice thing that also came out of this is that I found some errant numbers and a bug that were causing the heavy frames to move too slowly backwards as well as reducing their strafe speed. Both of those problems are now fixed as well.

Also as promised on IRC yesterday I’m also sharing the buffs we’ve made to armour plates.

Couple of caveats:
- We'd like to introduce a penalty to shield tanking (most likely increasing the delay on shield recharge when you use shield extenders) but we wanted to buff armor first. We will be watching 1.4 closely and if necessary, add the shield delay in 1.5.
- Role skills still need to be updated to better take advantage of armor tanking.

* Adjusted Armor Plate attributes - HP bonus of 85/110/135 (Basic/Enhanced/Complex) and speed penalties of 2%/3%/5% (with full skill bonuses this equates to 93.5/121/148.5)
* Adjusted Ferroscale Plate attributes - HP bonus of 35/50/75 (with full skill bonuses this equates to 38.5/55/82.5)
* Adjusted Reactive Plate attributes - HP bonus of 25/40/60 and speed penalties of 0%/1%/1% (with full skill bonuses this equates to 27.5/44/66)

Cheers

CCP Wolfman
Brutor Vanguard
Minmatar Republic
#2 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:01  |  Edited by: Logi Bro
Whoa, bombshell......gimme a second to write something up. You get a +1 sir.

Let me start with the strafing, I like this change, and I am glad to see that I might actually be able to shoot and hit speed tanked enemies now that they are getting a 10% speed reduction when strafing, definitely a good change.

About the possible shield recharge delay penalty for equipping extenders.....I like it. Quad stacking complex extenders will now essentially require the use of regulators, which will hurt dual tanking, which is good since it is kind of god-mode at the moment. I believe this penalty to be MUCH better than a scan profile increase, and will fully support it in the event you give us the details. My only question would be: Would regulators reduce the base shield delay, or the shield delay AFTER the extender penalty is introduced?

About armor plates, good. Good, but not great. The percentage of penalty increase is still greater than the percentage of armor given. By that I mean from the 2%/85 armor plate to the 3%/110 armor plate is a 1.5 speed penalty multiplier, but only a 1.29 armor increase multiplier. It isn't as bad as before, but it is still worth noticing. The difference is much bigger going from the 3%/110 armor plate to the 5%/135 armor plate. The speed penalty multiplier there is 1.6666.... and the armor multiplier is only 1.22. That's a greater speed penalty and a smaller armor increase compared to the jump from the basic to the enhanced, and is totally not worth it, I can see the enhanced plates being the go-to with these given stats.

The ferroscale stats are all I could ever hope for, so I think you did a great job there, but reactive plates will remain comparatively useless. It would be great if you made them a high-slot module, since armor tankers are still lacking such a mythical item, even though I understand damage mods are the "recommended" armor tank high mod.

Quote:
- Role skills still need to be updated to better take advantage of armor tanking.

Have you read my "New Class Bonus Ideas" thread yet? Cool It's a good read, not entirely polished, but I compiled ideas from people in the comments section, so it's a moderately good idea of what the community would like to see.

H

M

G

#3 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:03
Update? When?

(V) (°,,,,°) (V)

The Bastard Brigade
#4 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:04
this makes my heavy ass happier than free bacon and candy day.

If you hear the words "WORTH IT!" look about, something hilarious just happened.

Praetoriani Classiarii Templares
Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris
#5 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:07  |  Edited by: True Adamance
CCP Wolfman wrote:
Hi guys,

A quick heads up for some upcoming changes in 1.4 to armour and movement.

Currently a bug has caused some of the movement speed modifiers on strafe to be ignored. This is good and bad. It’s good because faster strafe speeds are cool. It’s bad because right now strafe speed is at least 1:1 with run speed and this was not our intention. In keeping with normal physical limitations strafe was intended to be slower than run. We had planned to raise the strafe speed from the 1.1 build to around 80% of run speed (it was lurking around 60-70% or so depending on frame). After seeing how popular (and fun) the higher strafe speeds have been we changed our minds. We still wanted to maintain a difference between forward and sideways movement but we didn’t want to make a significant reduction to the speeds. So we’ve settled on strafe speed as 90% of run speed across all suits.

Before anyone freaks out, this does not mean it is set in stone forevermore. It just means that we want to play the game with the settings we actually intended so we can properly judge them. There are a lot of updates to the game in 1.4 so we’ll be watching very closely to see what we need to respond to :-)

A nice thing that also came out of this is that I found some errant numbers and a bug that were causing the heavy frames to move too slowly backwards as well as reducing their strafe speed. Both of those problems are now fixed as well.

Also as promised on IRC yesterday I’m also sharing the buffs we’ve made to armour plates.

Couple of caveats:
- We'd like to introduce a penalty to shield tanking (most likely increasing the delay on shield recharge when you use shield extenders) but we wanted to buff armor first. We will be watching 1.4 closely and if necessary, add the shield delay in 1.5.

* Adjusted Armor Plate attributes - HP bonus of 85/110/135 (Basic/Enhanced/Complex) and speed penalties of 2%/3%/5% (with full skill bonuses this equates to 93.5/121/148.5)
* Adjusted Ferroscale Plate attributes - HP bonus of 35/50/75 (with full skill bonuses this equates to 38.5/55/82.5)
* Adjusted Reactive Plate attributes - HP bonus of 25/40/60 and speed penalties of 0%/1%/1% (with full skill bonuses this equates to 27.5/44/66)

Cheers

CCP Wolfman

HONOUR TO THE WOLFMAN.

He should be an Amarrian Saint by now....

* Throws Honeyed Lamb outside Wolfmans cave*

"Best Dev ever!"

EDIT- Reactive Still terribad.....

"Get thine Swag out of my face! Next you'll be writing #YOLOswagforJamyl in all your posts!"

-Dagger Two

#6 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:08
Nice. Can't wait for the armor plates (I'm an armor tanker).

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.

-William Shakespeare

TeamPlayers
Dirt Nap Squad.
#7 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:10
The high strafe speed coupled with the sluggish aim and hit detection issues make some players near impossible to kill.
I slower strafe may fix some of these issues.
ACME SPECIAL FORCES
RISE of LEGION
#8 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:10
Oooo yeaa, as a Dual tanker, I like the new armor plate stats, less speed penalty mmm mmmm

Investigate 9/11

Rautaleijona
#9 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:12
CommanderBolt wrote:
Oooo yeaa, as a Dual tanker, I like the new armor plate stats, less speed penalty mmm mmmm

Samesies!

This is good news.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome. ~ Isaac Asimov

Mikramurka Shock Troop
Minmatar Republic
#10 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:13
Damn fine news from the Wolfman. =)

I support SP rollover.

Afterlife Overseers
#11 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:13
Don't misunderstand, I'm happy with better Armor plates, but...

... I thought Plates give you more HP because they slow you down also.

A STD Plate gives you more HP than a PRO Extender. (Armor-Shield 1-0)

Armor needs a Repper (1-1)

Reppers work constantly while Shield is delayed (2-1)

Armor slows you down (2-2)

Shield extenders penalties... WHY EXACTLY?

Scouts: The weakest suit, the strongest heart.

Kinsho Swords
Caldari State
#12 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:14
So all suits will strafe at same speed? Like will all suits strafe at 90% or just the 90% of each specific suit? Like scout will strafe at 90% of their speed. And when will the scouts have some love? Give them a buff on speed. The assaults are almost as fast
Capital Acquisitions LLC
Dirt Nap Squad.
#13 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:15  |  Edited by: Vin Vicious
Holy **** complex 148 ? LOL gg shields gg

Ima be miss Cleo here and predict forum armor OP threads the like of which we've never seen

Ps Wolfman always delivers
OLDSPICE.
Top Men.
#14 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:17
And the Armor tankers rejoice...
#15 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:18
Killar-12 wrote:
And the Armor tankers rejoice...

We do. It will soon be our age to teach the dirty shield tankers how terrify armour can be and how wrong they were!

"Get thine Swag out of my face! Next you'll be writing #YOLOswagforJamyl in all your posts!"

-Dagger Two

SAM-MIK
General Tso's Alliance
#16 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:19
YES YES YES i am so happy I can really use my tanking suit nowBig smile. Look the F out because heavies are finally going to be relevant. I also fear there will be a plethora of OP talks about heavies after this. Again TY so much for making Armor more relevant. Now I can dust off my Proto Heavy and lay down some serious collateral damage. If you could adjust my HMG by 20 more meters and call it my birthday and Christmas all in one I would be stupid happyBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

A heavy before 1.8

Fatal Absolution
Dirt Nap Squad.
#17 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:19
Let me say what will be said ONE day after this is released...
"ARMOR OP! /SHIELDS UP! /My AR lost to a HEAVY??!?!? /Heavy OP!"

Thanks CCP Foxfour

0uter.Heaven
#18 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:20
Fun? How is insane strafing exactly fun?

Glad to hear it's being reduced of 10%

"I load my gun with love instead of bullets"

#19 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:20
TunRa wrote:
Let me say what will be said ONE day after this is released...
"ARMOR OP! /SHIELDS UP! /My AR lost to a HEAVY??!?!? /Heavy OP!"

We shall end dirty complaints with us!

join us brother. Join the New Order!

-Dagger Two

Red Star.
EoN.
#20 Posted: 2013.08.14 06:20
Can't wait!! Looks like ima be adjusting my fittings to suit those new yummy complex plates that is , after i spend 750k sp saved up from my get new dropsuit pool (dammit) to get to lvl v.

Flight stick user. Oh well :(

14 Pages123Next pageLast page