General Discussions

 
^ Back to top

Topic is locked indefinitely.

9 PagesPrevious page1234Next pageLast page
 

So, the active scanner...

Jump to first DEV post
Author
C C P
C C P Alliance
#21 Posted: 2013.07.29 06:53
Protocake JR wrote:
CCP Wolfman wrote:
This seems like a good opportunity to tell you about some of the scanning related things we’re currently testing internally.

What are we testing?

  • Shared vision for squads disabled.
  • Team member chevrons only visible when they are in LOS. Squad chevrons remain 3D (stick to the edge of the screen).
  • The active scanner shares all scan results with your squad.
  • Pretty little pulsing effect on things that have been scanned so you can understand why you are seeing them and why they disappear.
  • HP bars and name tag visible only for what you are aiming/firing at.
  • Hit indication is FF is off is disabled.

Why are we testing this?

  • We are unhappy with how much noise there is on the HUD. It often gets in the way (tags in particular) rather than helping you understand what is going on. We want to clean it up.
  • We feel that scanning in particular is unclear, you often didn’t really know why you see some things and not others.
  • We want active scanning to be a more important tactical mechanic.

How is it going?

Pretty well, quite happy with it so far :-)


Pertaining to active scanners on vehicles, will it display info to my entire team if i'm not in a squad?

>Inb4 lern2sqd


just to you in that case
C C P
C C P Alliance
#22 Posted: 2013.07.29 06:54
Kane Fyea wrote:
RedRebelCork wrote:
Actually looks pretty good in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyGxjCMXago&feature=youtu.be&a

Anyone as an individual, or corp, making good use of it?

Only downside is the person using it does not get WP for spotting enemies. It works good though.


we plan to add WP for scanning as soon as we can
Rautaleijona
#23 Posted: 2013.07.29 06:55
#24 Posted: 2013.07.29 06:56
CCP Wolfman wrote:
This seems like a good opportunity to tell you about some of the scanning related things we’re currently testing internally.

What are we testing?

  • Shared vision for squads disabled.
  • Team member chevrons only visible when they are in LOS. Squad chevrons remain 3D (stick to the edge of the screen).
  • The active scanner shares all scan results with your squad.
  • Pretty little pulsing effect on things that have been scanned so you can understand why you are seeing them and why they disappear.
  • HP bars and name tag visible only for what you are aiming/firing at.
  • Hit indication if FF is off is disabled.

Why are we testing this?

  • We are unhappy with how much noise there is on the HUD. It often gets in the way (tags in particular) rather than helping you understand what is going on. We want to clean it up.
  • We feel that scanning in particular is unclear, you often didn’t really know why you see some things and not others.
  • We want active scanning to be a more important tactical mechanic.

How is it going?

Pretty well, quite happy with it so far :-)

Awesome stuff Wolfman, as usual. I for one love my scanner, even if I don't use it all too often. It's an amazingly useful tool, and I'm definitely looking forward to watching it evolve as time goes on.

Rage flavored bitter berry

#BUS514

C C P
C C P Alliance
#25 Posted: 2013.07.29 06:59
Cyrius Li-Moody wrote:
CCP Wolfman wrote:

  • HP bars and name tag visible only for what you are aiming/firing at.



  • Is this going to work cohesively w the mass driver or are we going to have to aim down before we aim up to see HP bars/target intel?

    Also, since objectives can't be blown up, and only hacked, is there any way to turn off the hit indicator for it?


    Right now, no. It doesn't seem to have proved much of a problem in testing. If it does prove to be one we can look at a little code tweak for the MD.

    Regarding objective hit indication, we want to fix that, it's on the list along with lots of little things
    0uter.Heaven
    #26 Posted: 2013.07.29 07:00
    You're the man, wolfman.

    Youtuber. Your friendly neighborhood whiskey-fueled merc.

    #27 Posted: 2013.07.29 07:08
    CCP Wolfman wrote:
    This seems like a good opportunity to tell you about some of the scanning related things we’re currently testing internally.

    What are we testing?

    • Shared vision for squads disabled.
    • Team member chevrons only visible when they are in LOS. Squad chevrons remain 3D (stick to the edge of the screen).
    • The active scanner shares all scan results with your squad.
    • Pretty little pulsing effect on things that have been scanned so you can understand why you are seeing them and why they disappear.
    • HP bars and name tag visible only for what you are aiming/firing at.
    • Hit indication if FF is off is disabled.

    Why are we testing this?

    • We are unhappy with how much noise there is on the HUD. It often gets in the way (tags in particular) rather than helping you understand what is going on. We want to clean it up.
    • We feel that scanning in particular is unclear, you often didn’t really know why you see some things and not others.
    • We want active scanning to be a more important tactical mechanic.

    How is it going?

    Pretty well, quite happy with it so far :-)


    I like this a lot but I would like some elaboration if that is okay.

    Shared vision for Squads is disabled - but is shared vision for Teams disabled as well..? This would be a massive (and very much needed) buff to Scouts and may even pave way for bringing back the pre-Uprising dropsuit scan ranges as 2.5m is a little low. The only time something dips within 2.5m is if it's using Knives, at which point you are already dead.

    As far as Active Scanners being more important as far as tactical mechanics - they really need to give some kind of WP to the user. I have a thread regarding a properly balanced method of doing this here:

    https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1068738#post1068738

    I'd also like to propose that Cloaking (if it's even still on the table) should be limited to Scouts to give them a specific role that makes them unique, much like Sentinels are permitted the use of Heavy Weaponry as an example. This would make the Scout a very terrifying force to be reckoned with and the Active Scanner that much more essential to front-liners.

    (Former) CPM2 Representative for Dust 514 and Project Nova

    The Southern Legion
    #28 Posted: 2013.07.29 07:16
    CCP Wolfman wrote:

  • Hit indication if FF is off is disabled.


  • How then will I annoy friendly snipers by shooting them in the back, and watching them get up and run scared?

    It's the only way I know right now to let them know I disapprove of their role choice.
    #29 Posted: 2013.07.29 07:18

    sounds reasonable to me >.<

    specialist fittings though niche bring bonuses, limiting those bonuses to squad encourages others to "fit outside the box" so to speak.


    uncluttering clumped target intel is a move in the right direction, it would be nice to have an area around the crosshairs in which target intel "exploded" away from the cross hair with lines attaching to dots and a single chevron only for the target under the cross hair, but i'd hazard that even the real world military doesnt use such any such heavy handed and overly computational systems.

    Otherwise a move towards squad based intel seems to me quite fine. It should increase the stress levels associated with roving rather nicely, and impart greater importance to environmental factors for determining where 'reds' are (ie: gunfire ).

    As a related note though... :P running chevrons (aka non rendered entities) are counter intuitive to any process uncluttering the ui)

    Hoping that part of the motive for a push towards squad based intel, is to allow higher rendering distances and object counts.

    Blinkpeace and prosperity

    Pedant, Ape, Troll. My Beard makes Alpha's sook :P

    C C P
    C C P Alliance
    #30 Posted: 2013.07.29 07:20
    Quote:

    I like this a lot but I would like some elaboration if that is okay.

    Shared vision for Squads is disabled - but is shared vision for Teams disabled as well..? This would be a massive (and very much needed) buff to Scouts and may even pave way for bringing back the pre-Uprising dropsuit scan ranges as 2.5m is a little low. The only time something dips within 2.5m is if it's using Knives, at which point you are already dead.

    As far as Active Scanners being more important as far as tactical mechanics - they really need to give some kind of WP to the user. I have a thread regarding a properly balanced method of doing this here:

    https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1068738#post1068738

    I'd also like to propose that Cloaking (if it's even still on the table) should be limited to Scouts to give them a specific role that makes them unique, much like Sentinels are permitted the use of Heavy Weaponry as an example. This would make the Scout a very terrifying force to be reckoned with and the Active Scanner that much more essential to front-liners.

    Yes shared vision for squads and teams is disabled in our current internal build. Personally I've found it makes the game more exciting.

    Agree on it needing WP rewards. We're doing our best to get to those as soon as we can.

    Cloaking is still on the table, not going to speak about that atm though :-)
    C C P
    C C P Alliance
    #31 Posted: 2013.07.29 07:21
    Winsaucerer wrote:
    CCP Wolfman wrote:

  • Hit indication if FF is off is disabled.


  • How then will I annoy friendly snipers by shooting them in the back, and watching them get up and run scared?

    It's the only way I know right now to let them know I disapprove of their role choice.


    keep standing in front of them Blink
    #32 Posted: 2013.07.29 07:22
    CCP Wolfman wrote:
    Yes shared vision for squads and teams is disabled in our current internal build. Personally I've found it makes the game more exciting.

    Agree on it needing WP rewards. We're doing our best to get to those as soon as we can.

    Cloaking is still on the table, not going to speak about that atm though :-)

    This post is full of win.

    I like this thread.

    Rage flavored bitter berry

    #BUS514

    WarRavens
    Imperium Eden
    #33 Posted: 2013.07.29 07:32
    Wait...a downgrade to TacNet is supposed to make this game more tactical?

    So I won't be able to see where my allies (not in my squad) are doing in the distance/on the mini-map?

    I guess I have to see how that works first...

    Anyway, will have shooting,... have any effect on getting scanned?
    Vengeance Unbound
    RUST415
    #34 Posted: 2013.07.29 07:39
    I think CCP should give us the power to decide what is on our HUD to a reasonable degree.... i.e. nametags.... I don't think they should make that decision for us, give us the option to toggle them.

    this game makes me sad....

    #35 Posted: 2013.07.29 07:42
    RKKR wrote:
    Wait...a downgrade to TacNet is supposed to make this game more tactical?

    So I won't be able to see where my allies (not in my squad) are doing in the distance/on the mini-map?

    I guess I have to see how that works first...

    Anyway, will have shooting,... have any effect on getting scanned?


    Makes the game more tactical as a circumstance - forcing players to interact with one another with other methods. I.E: Lone wolves be damned.

    This sort of change doesn't matter at all to PC competing corporations but I suppose it does matter in Faction Warfare and Instant Battles but if the objective is red it's probably a good sign no-one is hacking it.

    (Former) CPM2 Representative for Dust 514 and Project Nova

    C C P
    C C P Alliance
    #36 Posted: 2013.07.29 07:44
    RKKR wrote:
    Wait...a downgrade to TacNet is supposed to make this game more tactical?

    So I won't be able to see where my allies (not in my squad) are doing in the distance/on the mini-map?

    I guess I have to see how that works first...

    Anyway, will have shooting,... have any effect on getting scanned?


    You will always see team mates on the minimap and if they are in front of you. You just will not have the annoying chevrons sticking around at the edge of the screen for guys that are not in your line of sight.
    #37 Posted: 2013.07.29 08:00
    The only thing I see wrong with the scanner or any variant of our electronic warfare is there isn't enough encouragement to use it. We need stuff like cloaking, anti personnel mines, a dampening buff for scouts, and stealth oriented vehicles to make people want to use this stuff.
    Before anyone rolls their eyes at the idea of mines, I'm thinking that they should have a 30+ sec arming time, delay on detonation, and different variants with tradeoffs like wider blast radius at the cost of signiture/damage. It'd make the different scanners better than others in different situations while giving scouts something to do other than being shotgun/knife ninjas.

    Call 1-800-345-SONY, press 2, then 2 again to get your money back if you bought AUR in the past 90 days.

    SVER True Blood
    RUST415
    #38 Posted: 2013.07.29 08:09
    CCP Wolfman wrote:
    This seems like a good opportunity to tell you about some of the scanning related things we’re currently testing internally.

    What are we testing?

    • Shared vision for squads disabled.
    • Team member chevrons only visible when they are in LOS. Squad chevrons remain 3D (stick to the edge of the screen).
    • The active scanner shares all scan results with your squad.
    • Pretty little pulsing effect on things that have been scanned so you can understand why you are seeing them and why they disappear.
    • HP bars and name tag visible only for what you are aiming/firing at.
    • Hit indication if FF is off is disabled.

    Why are we testing this?

    • We are unhappy with how much noise there is on the HUD. It often gets in the way (tags in particular) rather than helping you understand what is going on. We want to clean it up.
    • We feel that scanning in particular is unclear, you often didn’t really know why you see some things and not others.
    • We want active scanning to be a more important tactical mechanic.

    How is it going?

    Pretty well, quite happy with it so far :-)


    Yes! YES to all these things!!!

    Deadly Blue Dots
    #39 Posted: 2013.07.29 08:12
    Leither speaks a lot of sense in his post.

    I can live with many of these changes, even if it's a downgrade in the tac-net as has also been pointed out.

    Clearing up the clutter is one thing, but I feel that active scanner should help the whole team, not just your squad, f.ex.

    1st April - 14: No more likes! Need it to stop at 333.

    2nd April - 14: Ok, fezz up! Who gave the likes?!

    SVER True Blood
    RUST415
    #40 Posted: 2013.07.29 08:14
    Well hopefully these basic FPS concepts will get implemented in 1.4 or sooner if possible. Its still kinda sad that these concepts have taken you guys this long to internally test but at least its happening.

    STB Director, #1 in Warpoints E3 Closed Beta Build, Water Pipe Aficionado, Cannabis Sativa Connoisseur

    9 PagesPrevious page1234Next pageLast page
    Forum Jump